100 mph zipline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
    The human body is only capable of ~125 mph or so in free fall. Once you take in to account that he isn't falling straight down, and the friction on the line and harness, then I don't think he's anywhere near 100 mph. I would think that the 50 - 60 mph range would be closer.

Still looks badass and might be fun to try. Would be even cooler if it was over water and you could eject using some sort of drogue shoot.
    what if your 500lbs could you achieve faster than 125mph during free fall?

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
      what if your 500lbs could you achieve faster than 125mph during free fall?
      Nope. I was 275 in HS and during one of our OM practices we were running structural calcs on various things and decided to see what my terminal velocity was, and even with a perfectly straight arrow position I could only acheive around 132 mph.

There is a point of diminishing returns. Yes you're heavier and should fall faster(except in a vaccuum), but your surface area has increased as well as friction.
      G'Day Mate

Comment

Nope. I was 275 in HS and during one of our OM practices we were running structural calcs on various things and decided to see what my terminal velocity was, and even with a perfectly straight arrow position I could only acheive around 132 mph.

There is a point of diminishing returns. Yes you're heavier and should fall faster(except in a vaccuum), but your surface area has increased as well as friction.
        that makes sense! like the bowling ball and feather effect

Comment

OM... meaning Odyssey of the Mind?
          Originally posted by Jester
          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
          Originally posted by Denny
          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            OM... meaning Odyssey of the Mind?
            yessir

When I graduated the team before mine still held the state record for amount of weight held on a 8oz structure. It was something like 1285#. We had the structure in a case on the mantle at our coaches house because it didn't break. The only reason the record was only 1285 is the high school they were competing at ran out of weights.
            G'Day Mate

Comment

yessir

When I graduated the team before mine still held the state record for amount of weight held on a 8oz structure. It was something like 1285#. We had the structure in a case on the mantle at our coaches house because it didn't break. The only reason the record was only 1285 is the high school they were competing at ran out of weights.
              holy shit man, I haven't heard anyone mention OM since I was in elementary. I did it for a couple years in elementary. The team I was on never competed where you had to build something to hold the weight but I do remember watching those teams. We competed where you had to come up with a story, build your set, and solve a problem or something like that.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
              He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
              Originally posted by Denny
              What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
              FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                holy shit man, I haven't heard anyone mention OM since I was in elementary. I did it for a couple years in elementary. The team I was on never competed where you had to build something to hold the weight but I do remember watching those teams. We competed where you had to come up with a story, build your set, and solve a problem or something like that.
                You were on the Spontaneous team, never was very good at that. There were also Structure, Car, and Technical.

I spent a couple years on structure in HS. Went to state my junior year and world my senior year. Made them rewrite the rulebook because of our structure my senior year.
                G'Day Mate

Comment

it is possible to fall faster than terminal velocity, the world record free fall speed with no special equipment is over 300mph

Comment

Originally posted by black50 View Post
                    it is possible to fall faster than terminal velocity, the world record free fall speed with no special equipment is over 300mph
                    That's a special circumstance. In normal free fall IIRC ~125 is the max
                    G'Day Mate

Comment

That's a special circumstance. In normal free fall IIRC ~125 is the max
                      Is that with the body straight up and down, hands to the side?

Regardless, that was more than 50mph.

Comment

Working...
                      X