Hitler's Eagles Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitler's Eagles Nest

So, skipping the Dachau concentration camp pics (I'll post those up later) today I had a chance to visit the Hitler's Eagles Next in the Bavarian Alps. It was pretty damn awesome. I've picked a few more pictures than I've posted before because honestly there was a lot more to take pictures of.

On the way up into the mountains. Yes it really does look like the sound of music here. Grass really is this green.

This is the city of OberSalzberg - Unbelievably beautiful place where it seems everyone drives BMW's and Porsche 911 GT3's.

After a long ascent up the mountain, finally we arrive at the Eagle's Nest. You can see high above the tunnel is the house.

The tunnel leads down a long hallway, with a round gumdrop shaped room in which you call the elevator to pick you up.

the elevator is pretty damn large - about 15x15' and it's solid brass inside. Here is a picture of the call phone Hitler would have used to ascend into the Eagle's Nest.

The elevator moves damn fast, and in 40 seconds you're at the top. Here's a picture I took from above the Eagle's Nest showing the kind of view an evil dictator might expect to see on any given morning:

Yeah it's beautiful up here:

Inside the Eagle's Nest here is a typical view from the window:
    "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
    "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Amazing.
    Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

The fireplace inside the Eagle's Nest was a gift from Benito Mussolini to Hitler on his 50th birthday (as well as the Eagle's Nest itself from the Nazi party)

And a view of what was the main living room - which is now a restaurant.

Before heading down I took the time to pace with my hands behind my back exactly like Hitler would do in film footage. Contemplating world domination.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I loved it when I went. Beautiful country.
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
        George Orwell

Comment

That's fucking awesome, thanks for sharing!

Comment

The views are breathtaking. It is so beautiful there. Alright, adding to bucket list.

What are the temps like there this time of year? Might escape the heatwave there one summer.

Comment

Now - The really cool and spooky part. At the base of this mountain (but still a mile high in the Alps) is the Nazi SS barracks and main bunker that was housed to defend the Eagle's Nest from Allied invasion from stormtroopers or bombing raids.

Here is the museum which encapsulates the entrance to the secret SS bunker complex. If you look at the peak of the mountain in the right background, you can see the Eagle's Nest.

And here you can see the bunker as it sits inside the mountain.

Here is the bunker entrance from inside the Museum. The two brick circles are remnants of the SS and Swastika markers the bunker once wore.

As you head down the main entrance, you were greeted with a very long staircase heading down, with this at the end looking back:

And for you curious ones, this is what was on the other side... A mount for 3 MG42 machineguns. Any allied company heading into this bunker would have been turned into sour kraut in seconds.

As you continue you can see some of the rougher areas that were incomplete:

And a connecting corridor:

Here is one of the corridors that leads to the underground SS barracks:

Comment

Jesus. That ambush spot is terrible.
                Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Take a look at what is etched into the wall here, and the date... anyone care to take a guess who did this?

Deeper into the complex it gets a little darker -

One of the rubble exits the SS used which collapsed due to Allied bombing raids.

Here is one of the reinforced bomb shelters used by the SS:

And here is a reminder that I see repeated frequently in Nazi military installations - really shitty mortar work - indicative of the jewish prisoners trying to half ass and delay progress on any Wehrmacht/SS military project.

One of the last bits is this incomplete elevator shaft - which drops another 100ft into the complex. You can see many shafts and other things down in the dark, but unfortunately you can't access it. I can only imagine how huge this underground bunker system really is.

I have a lot more to post when I get back, just wanted to throw up a few interesting ones.

Comment

Wow amazing thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                      The views are breathtaking. It is so beautiful there. Alright, adding to bucket list.

What are the temps like there this time of year? Might escape the heatwave there one summer.
                      Oh it's incredible. Today when I was on the mountain it was 70* all day with on and off light sprinkles. Right now the desk butts up against an open window and its about 50* at night, fingers are getting pretty cold. Couldn't pick a better place to visit in July, and the air is cleaner than you could imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
                        Oh it's incredible. Today when I was on the mountain it was 70* all day with on and off light sprinkles. Right now the desk butts up against an open window and its about 50* at night, fingers are getting pretty cold. Couldn't pick a better place to visit in July, and the air is cleaner than you could imagine.
                        did u plan all this yourself or did you have someone that put this trip together for you?

Comment

Damn man that's outstanding!

Thanks for that

Comment

Very cool. Incredible amount of history and scenery to absorb on that trip.

Comment

Jeebus, i hate you...does it say what those markings were??? looks like french resistance marks

Comment

Working...
                              X