Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for the Cops

I thought you guys might like this.

Stumbled on to this shot I took of an Austin cop in 1969 or '70. He was running a radar trap around the corner from our house. A buddy of mine and I passed him, made a U-turn and went back to ask him if he'd mind a posed shot behind the wheel. He thought that was pretty funny and set this up for us. We went down to the neighborhood veterinary clinic when they closed and the doc, who was a friend of our families, let us come in and develop it in his darkroom. He owed us a few favors since he fingered us a few times to haul frozen, dead dogs off in his gold Caddy. Needed the room in his freezer. That's another story though ... BF

------

I always like this one too. It was the summer of '70 and these were brand new cars. Bonus points for hand over steering wheel.

I'm almost sure I have another one somewhere but it eludes me where it is. By the way, at the time all APD cars were a medium sky blue with white doors and top, gold leaf "Austin Police Department" letter on door in a circular pattern with shield in the middle. They were phasing out the Steinway piano black Harley trikes with gold leaf. They saved one and it's in the lobby at APD HQ out of sight behind the counter and around the corner unless they moved it.

Anything I send to you please feel free to distribute to the discerning car enthusiast community ... BF
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Growing up in Austin, I remember the sky-blue cruisers with gold letters. Disco, baby!

Comment

Excellent.

My first patrol car was a 78 LTD II.
      [x] Slow
      [x] Handled like an aircraft carrier
      [x] Not even an AM radio

Comment

i like this pic

Comment

Funny how this thread has such few responses. Turn it in to an FTP thread if you want more replies.
          Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            Growing up in Austin, I remember the sky-blue cruisers with gold letters. Disco, baby!
            I was 7...youre old.

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
            Funny how this thread has such few responses. Turn it in to an FTP thread if you want more replies.
            Dude, leave yourself alone. You chose the profession and the site.

Comment

I was on the site before the profession
              Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

My first patrol car was a 1987 Caprice Classic. I remember the good old days of getting in a pursuit and hanging on for dear life because of that front pleather bench seat.

Comment

I love old cop cars. Even better, is watching old car chase movies with old cop cars. The best of which is without a doubt Dirty Mary Crazy Larry. "My top end is unlimited! I'm gonna eat your lunch, you long haired faggot!"

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    My first patrol car was a 1987 Caprice Classic. I remember the good old days of getting in a pursuit and hanging on for dear life because of that front pleather bench seat.
                    If I remember correctly, the back seat was a pleather bench unit also !!
                    Vortex rear stand $75
                    8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                    My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                    but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                    11 4 door
                    13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
                      I was on the site before the profession
                      Didnt know that...but I wasnt very vocal on here for the first couple years. This site was ruthless back then!

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                        Didnt know that...but I wasnt very vocal on here for the first couple years. This site was ruthless back then!

It's started going back to its roots lately!

Comment

Lol o god I'm a young'n then! My first cruiser was a beat to sh*t flood survivor 2003 Vic... That damn car smelled like mold and ran like crap. Good times.

Comment

This is the same body style, but not the car (obviously).

My first car had a bubble gum up top with two Mickey Mouse ears for lights.

A "bubble gum" top is on the car to the left. The car centered in the pic has a state of the art (for back then) JetSonic lightbar. That was a siren in the top middle, and it was loud as fuck. You couldn't talk on the radio or hear it when it was going.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post

My first car had a bubble gum up top with two Mickey Mouse ears for lights.
                              Y'all had those things forever. The old Nova squad cars in the mid 70's had em and they were old as the hills back then.

Comment

Working...
                              X