Upgrade for the Coupe (3g alternator)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade for the Coupe (3g alternator)

Well this mod if finally done. Didn't take too many pictures. I read thread after thread about this mod. Some people said do it this way, other's said this way. This is how I did mine. Pretty straight foreward if you ask me.

Dirty Engine Bay

As some of you (who have done this mod) have read you MIGHT have to notch out your alternator bracket. I had to on mine. Took a die grinder and dremel to grind mine down a bit. I borrow the pictures from another thread so you can see what you need to do:
    BEFORE

AFTER

The top bolt hole on the fox is threaded (3/8) if I remember correctly. The 3g is not. With the 3g alternator, you can either put in a helicoil (3/8), or you can do what most people do and go get a 2in 3/8 bolt,lock washer and nut to bolt up the top of the alternator. The bottom mount retains the factory bolt

New 4gauge power wire going from the alternator to the start solenoid. Some threads were different than other's here. Some said put a waffle fuse, or a fusible link on your new hot wire going to the solenoid. Some said close to the alternator, some said close to the start solenoid. I chose to put it close to the alternator. Well after some looking around (2hrs) No-one around here had a fusible link. So I ended up putting a 140 Amp Circuit breaker in. 4gauge in, 4 gauge out. This way if something goes wrong and I blow a fuse I'm not paying $5 a fuse.

New 4 gauge wire:

Circuit Breaker:

Spliced Stator wire:

Belt Clearence:

That's pretty much it. Only other problem that I ran into was the pulley that was on my stock Fox 75 amp alternator was not the same size that was on my 3g alternator.My belt that I had wasn't big enough. So I ended up just changing out the belt.

This mod is leading up to this:
    Taurus Fan

Picked up thisNew Shifter knob, with a "modified shift handle" also.
    "The Fox body mustang is a vagina car.If you don't have one to play with...you WANT one to play with....unless your're a fag..."

not a fan of the shift knob, but thats just my opinion dot com.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
      not a fan of the shift knob, but thats just my opinion dot com.
      got tired of the bullit shift knob...(hand kept slipping off it and smashing my knuckles into the hvac controls)
      "The Fox body mustang is a vagina car.If you don't have one to play with...you WANT one to play with....unless your're a fag..."

Comment

You can route the belt differently to gain more clearance.

Comment

Belt clearence with this mod was alot better than it was.

Comment

Nice write up.
            2 Chronicles 7:14
            If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

Working...
            X