DIY Weapons of the Libyan Rebels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Weapons of the Libyan Rebels

The Atlantic, The Atlantic Magazine, TheAtlantic.com, Atlantic, news, opinion, breaking news, analysis, commentary, business, politics, culture, international, science, technology, national and life

For the past four months in Libya, rebel forces made up of civilians and army defectors have been waging battles against Muammar Qaddafi's armed forces, holding their own and sometimes advancing with the assistance of NATO air strikes. Scrambling to arm themselves against mercenaries and a professional army, rebels have been making use of everything they can -- from using captured weapons and munitions to rigging anti-aircraft guns and aircraft rocket launchers to the backs of civilian pickup trucks. Collected here are recent images of some of this weaponry used by the Libyan rebels. [34 photos]

At a weapon workshop in Misrata, a Libyan volunteer fixes a UB-32 rocket launcher pod, attached to the back of a pickup truck on May 28, 2011. The UB-32, a launcher designed to fire Russian S-5 rockets, is normally mounted on an aircraft

A rebel army officer works on a weapon captured from forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi, at a workshop in Benghazi, on June 1, 2011

Molotov cocktails rest in a rack as Libyan rebels prepare for battle in Ajdabiya on March 2, 2011.

A Libyan rebel plugs his ears as rebels fire a rocket at troops loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi on the road between Ajdabiya and Brega, Libya, on Thursday, March 31, 2011.

A rebel fighter stands next to pickup truck converted into an armored combat vehicle at the front line with Muammar Qaddafi forces, 30 km south from Misrata, Libya, on Friday, May 27, 2011

A rebel fighter rests on a weapon mounted on the back of a pickup truck on the front line between them and Muammar Qaddafi forces, 30 km south of Misrata, Libya, on Friday, May 27, 2011

Rebel fighters launch rockets against Qaddafi forces at the frontline along the western entrance of Ajdabiyah April 21, 2011.

Rebel soldiers repair weapons captured from forces loyal to Muammar Qaddafi at a workshop in Benghazi, on June 13, 2011

Libyan rebel fighters opposing Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi fire their weapons at a Libyan airforce fighter jet flying overhead at the entrance to the oil-rich town of Ras Lanuf on March 8, 2011

A rebel poses with an armful of rocket-propelled grenades taken from an armored personnel carrier (APC) captured from forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi on the outskirts of the town of Zlitan, west of the rebel-held port city of Misrata, on June 10, 2011.

Rebel soldiers repair weapons captured from forces loyal to Muammar Qaddafi at a workshop in Benghazi, on June 13, 2011

IN FUCKING SANDALS!!

Comment

Those Libyan rednecks built some nice technicals.

Comment

libya has rednecks too!

Comment

They're outdoing the Khyber Pass boys for ingenuity.
          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I want one of those diesel Toyota Land Cruiser trucks! With or without rocket launchers.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
              R
              IN FUCKING SANDALS!!
              They must've learned their craft from Forrest!

Comment

Originally posted by Muffrazr View Post
                IN FUCKING SANDALS!!
                Is there any other way?

That being said, plasma cutters are a different story. Bad idea, take it from me!

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon88 View Post
                  I want one of those diesel Toyota Land Cruiser trucks! With or without rocket launchers.
                  Me too!!!

Comment

Those are some ingenius dudes. I didn't see any beer cans laying around though. Must not be true Libyan rednecks.
                    De Oppresso Liber.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                      Is there any other way?

That being said, plasma cutters are a different story. Bad idea, take it from me!
                      I know.

I'm bad about no gloves and flip flops. I almost always have my safety glasses, though.

Comment

Pretty cool. It cracks me up when rednecks ramble on like "Hurr I have an Aye-arrr 15, when the soviet-communist-nazi-terrorist-democrats invade, I will be ready..."

Clearly it takes more than small arms to put up even a bit of resistance against even a poorly armed military.
                        Originally posted by lincolnboy
                        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

That's some serious Mad Max shit! BadASS!

Comment

Big fan of the arm chair "turret" that had me rolling.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                              Pretty cool. It cracks me up when rednecks ramble on like "Hurr I have an Aye-arrr 15, when the soviet-communist-nazi-terrorist-democrats invade, I will be ready..."

Clearly it takes more than small arms to put up even a bit of resistance against even a poorly armed military.
                              LOL, Im sure those werent just handed to the malitia's. Something as simple as a AK could have been used to secure the cache's where they got those weapons so maybe those dumb rednecks are onto something.

Comment

Working...
                              X