Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever owned a jet boat?

these look like fun.......

A friend of mine has a pretty nice one that he is about to put up for sale...when he was telling me about it he said he would let it go cheap...probably for around $5K or a little less. Has a BBC in it. I don't know much about these, but I was thinking that sounded pretty cheap.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
      A friend of mine has a pretty nice one that he is about to put up for sale...when he was telling me about it he said he would let it go cheap...probably for around $5K or a little less. Has a BBC in it. I don't know much about these, but I was thinking that sounded pretty cheap.
      Depending on the motor itself, that sounds like a decent deal. That's the problem with jetboats, they go fast, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        Depending on the motor itself, that sounds like a decent deal. That's the problem with jetboats, they go fast, and that's it.
        ...and to my knowledge, only on smooth water too....which we don't tend to have much of around here.
        70' Chevelle RagTop
        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

My dad has one, but he didn't winterize the 460 Ford, so I had a mechanic work on it and he messed it up, so now we need to have someone else get it running smoothly. Think the guy put the crank in wrong and probably a few other things. They are fun boats, but for the power, they aren't that fast as blowing water out of the back isn't that efficient. Also, you can imagine the fuel mileage. Sounds awesome though.
          Ford
          GM
          Toyota
          VAG

Comment

They are fun when running, and a total pia when not. I spent many more hours paddling my friend's back to the ramp than running around the lake. I think their are good, well built ones, but most that I had experience with were junk with a nice paint job. Oh, and they have a target painted on them for lake patrol. Never went out without getting hassled and checked for being over the noise limit. Never was over.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

They are cool in the sense that they are loud, can be fast and are fun to play with.

They suck in the sense that they blow through gas, can't do much with them except haul ass and the water has to be calm. That means you're pretty much fucked around here and would only be able to open it up at night when everyone is off the water and the wind dies down.

Comment

Someone on here had one that burnt while out on the lake.
                2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I had a Carlson Glastron deep V with a 455 in it. It handled rough water well and would do about 55-60 on calm water. Really more for looks then practical use. A good bass boat could take you and get twice the fuel mileage while doing it. It was a good looking boat though and drew a lot of attention. I also had the pleasure of being towed in as they like to pop head gaskets. LOL
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Guy a good friend of mine knows, he lives in Kingston, OK. Saw the boat a couple times at his house. The hull is so thin it easily flexes to the touch. Has a twin turbo big block Chevy with a 400 hp shot of juice. Brian rode in it once and said never again. His name is Hass, he has a clean chevy II that runs 10 sec 1\4 mile and he said the boat is a sicker ride.

Last vid is him taking ex drag racer Eddie Hill for a Nitrous run, couple of vids on youtube show 120+ mph runs.

Last edited by shumpertdavid; 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Had a early 70s sanger 19" v drive with a mild 454 making about 375-400ish when I lived on the delta in northern California. Would smoke my buddies jet boat with a 450hp 468 all day long. His huge rooster tails looked cool though. We sold that and I got a ski centurion barefoot warrior with a yamaha 225 horse outward that was just as fast and way more fun to drive. Looking to get another speed boat someday. And Aaron, you can ski/tube behind those old boats too.

Comment

Man I had a one a couple of summers ago and it was a blast........as long as the water was smooth. The boat would run around the upper 80-lower 90 mph. I miss having it around..
                        www.protechfencestaining.com
                        Bryan Durham
                        214-991-4979

Comment

My buddy Nick has a Taylor with a Ford 460, berkley drive pump and that thing hauls ass. I had posted pics of the build at the old board. I believe if you go to their website you can find his, red with simular seats as Hass' boat.
                          Nicks boat http://thetaylorboatsroost52059.yuku...979-SS-460-BBF
                          And then the main website
                          Tapatalk the world's leading mobile platform for building great communities online
                          Last edited by Rick Modena; 06-12-2011, 05:27 PM.
                          Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

The upkeep of a regular boat... multiply that by about a thousand...

Comment

Had a Glastron Carlson 21 footer. Seated 5, motor was enclosed and exhaust in the water. 55mph all day long rough or calm water. Boat was heavy!
                              Never had to do anything other than replace the alternator belt every year. Must have had it at the lake a few hundred times.
                              Downside was the 20 galons of gas per day....

Comment

Working...
                              X