Time lapse video of the VLT (Very Large Telescope) at work - incredible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time lapse video of the VLT (Very Large Telescope) at work - incredible

There’s very little we can write to preface the imagery below, so we’ll just set the scene and get out of the way. The video below was captured by Stephane Guisard and Jose Francisco Salgado at the European Southern Observatory’s Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile’s Atacama Desert. And it might make you cry.

What makes this time lapse particularly amazing--because we’ve all seen plenty of time lapse videos of the night sky--is the four telescopes in the foreground. Watching these instruments work against a black background would be endlessly fascinating on its own. Unfortunately you won’t be able to pay them too much attention. Because damn, what a sky.

"The Very Large Telescope (VLT) is made up of four separate optical telescopes (the Antu telescope, the Kueyen telescope, the Melipal telescope, and the Yepun telescope) organized in an array formation, built and operated by the European Southern Observatory (ESO) at the Paranal Observatory on Cerro Paranal, a 2,635 m high mountain in the Atacama Desert in northern Chile. Each telescope has an 8.2 m aperture. The array is complemented by four movable Auxiliary Telescopes (ATs) of 1.8 m aperture. Working together in interferometric mode, the telescopes can achieve an angular resolution of around 1 milliarcsecond, meaning it could distinguish the gap between the headlights of a car located on the Moon."

That is badass!

I wish I could see stars like that somewhere close to me.

Comment

AWESOME post!

Comment

Awesome. You can see a shooting star at 6:44 pretty clear.
        Originally posted by mutherjuggz
        That whole "making love" shit is for the birds. I won't get all graphic on my preferences, but if you can't knock the bottom out with a vengeance.... leave me alone

Comment

Atacama Desert. The absolute driest place on Earth.
          How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Originally posted by T-TOPPS5.0 View Post
            Awesome. You can see a shooting star at 6:44 pretty clear.
            that thing was moving!

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
              Atacama Desert. The absolute driest place on Earth.

Comment

and while we are talking about stuff like this, how would you like to be in Libya the day it hit 136 degrees F

Comment

cool posts strychnine and 78x. to muffrazr, im sure its not the same but go to east tx. my pops had a time share cabin in mineola(sp) near eagle pass i think. you could see the stars so clearly it was unreal to me the diff between there and dallas. so bright and everywhere. anytime we went i easily spent an hour every night just laying in the bed of his truck looking up.

Comment

Originally posted by blk95 View Post
                    cool posts strychnine and 78x. to muffrazr, im sure its not the same but go to east tx. my pops had a time share cabin in mineola(sp) near eagle pass i think. you could see the stars so clearly it was unreal to me the diff between there and dallas. so bright and everywhere. anytime we went i easily spent an hour every night just laying in the bed of his truck looking up.
                    Yeah, away from city lights is like old TV compared to HD TV! Couple years ago we were in Colorado way up in the mountains and it was fricken pitch black when we tried to go find our car. Took a while!

Comment

Best thing about being out to sea, the sky is amazing!
                      "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

trippppppppped out!

Comment

Those likely arent shooting stars, more likely high altutude airplanes.

In time lapse , a shooting star would happen so fast you wouldnt see it.

Comment

I miss that kind of stuff. I used to be the LASER range saftey officer and then a LASER tech for the LURE dome on Haleakala. This is an enhanced photo but at night when it was kinda overcast and we would track stuff you could see this.

And right next door was the Air Forces complex. Ive gone in to do computer work a few times but what is really cool is when that large can shaped dome on the left opens. It sinks into the ground and exposes the worlds fastest moving gymbol. It has many many LASERs and can shoot down a lot of high speed targets at once. I am one of very few civilians to be allowed to watch it open and go do its thing. Amazing how large it is for it to move so fast.
                            Twice they cleared all the tourists off the mountain top to open that thing up and both times I was sitting on top of out building (first picture and next to where the ladder is).

Man I miss those days. Making money hand over fist, government issued Ford to beat up on going up and down that road, super fast interwebz and a big honking LASER to play with.
                            Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Actually I just realized someone screwed up that first picture. That is from the back side of our building and thats not the LURE project LASER, thats the dark matter telescope.

The LURE dome is the right most dome, dark matter dome (in the same building) is the next one, solar flare domes after that and then the Air Force domes. Big one is Star Wars and the larger smaller ones ( ) are the 1.2 ans 2.3m telescopes and I forget what the smaller ones were. I helped develop the robotics system for the 1.2 and 2.3m telescopes LASER mirror focus system.

Last edited by LaserSVT; 06-04-2011, 06:49 PM.
                              Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Working...
                              X