No announcement yet.

Do not text and drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to make it a law no texting while driving. Its worse then drinking and driving & im guilty of it too. But I tell myself it can wait till I get to where im going when I get texts to reply
    GOD BLESS TEXAS
    August Landscaping
    214-779-7278
    Seb's high class.
    He'll mow your grass.
    He'll kick your ass.
    And while his kidney stones pass,
    He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

damn. if i have to explain the joke, it was not very good to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
        They need to make it a law no texting while driving. Its worse then drinking and driving & im guilty of it too. But I tell myself it can wait till I get to where im going when I get texts to reply
        Why do people call for more laws? We are over regulated as it is. How about greater education? You do realize in a free society (LOL!) that we must take the good with the bad, don't you?

And a law won't do anything but impose revenue generation possibilities because they can fine people. So people will still text and drive and have to deal with cops more.

Comment

Translation:
          "Protect me from myself. I have no self control."

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Why do people call for more laws? We are over regulated as it is. How about greater education? You do realize in a free society (LOL!) that we must take the good with the bad, don't you?
            Sean, laws are in place to make it where we never ever have to have bad feelings anymore or deal with anything negative. We need more laws because clearly we need more protection. I need to be fined that way I know that I did wrong.
            /sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
              Sean, laws are in place to make it where we never ever have to have bad feelings anymore or deal with anything negative. We need more laws because clearly we need more protection. I need to be fined that way I know that I did wrong.
              /sarcasm
              "Mellow greetings Chevelle John"

Comment

Be well Sean!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  Why do people call for more laws? We are over regulated as it is. How about greater education?
                  Are you going to try to go educate some middle aged women? I don't think most people can convince their own wife to stop texting...only make them stop admitting they do it.

Look at where we are today with drinking & driving -- that's probably where texting is headed.
                  2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

As it turns out, this was in the works. Awaiting Perry's signature now, apparently.

BY GORDON DICKSON
                    gdickson@star-telegram.com
                    Many motorists still send text messages such as LOL (laughing out loud) while driving -- but police may soon have the last laugh.

In the closing hours of the legislative session that ended Monday, lawmakers passed a statewide ban on sending or reading emails, text messages or instant messages while driving. The bill awaits Gov. Rick Perry's signature.

If it becomes law, motorists could be fined $200 for a violation, beginning Sept. 1. Under Texas law, the governor has 20 days after adjournment to sign the bill, veto it or allow it to become law without his signature.

The measure that passed the Senate 28-3 late Sunday is tougher than a previous version of the bill that was debated earlier in the session. The previous version would have outlawed sending text messages, but not reading them, while driving.

"Everybody agreed it was wrong to do the actual texting, the inputting, while you're driving, but a lot of people thought it was OK to read the text," said Vic Suhm, who as executive director of the Tarrant Regional Transportation Coalition closely tracks transportation laws.

But safety experts have warned against encouraging motorists to read texts. Nationwide, distracted driving caused 20 percent of traffic deaths in 2009, up from 10 percent in 2005, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Cellphone use is one of the most common distractions.
                    Also, some Texas lawmakers had raised concerns about whether the previous version of the bill could be enforced.

For example, how could an officer prove that a driver was sending, rather than just reading, a message? The tougher version that passed both houses of the Legislature eliminates that confusion by making it illegal to either send or read a message.

Exceptions to the ban:

The bill includes a handful of exceptions.

For example, drivers would still be allowed to input a phone number into their device for purposes of making a call. Also, texting would still be allowed for those who use hands-free technology, a global positioning system or a device attached to the car.

In addition, drivers whose job includes communicating with a dispatcher would still be able to send job-related texts.

State law already bans the use of cellphones -- texting or talking -- in school zones, although not all cities enforce it.

Also, Texas drivers younger than 18 cannot use wireless devices in their first year of driving.

Many cities have tackled distracted driving on their own. Arlington is considering adopting a tougher local ordinance prohibiting cellphone use. Austin and San Antonio are among the cities that have banned texting while driving, and El Paso has banned texting and talking while driving.

In April, the Texas Department of Transportation launched a National Distracted Driving Awareness Month campaign. Cellphone use caused 3,308 crashes in Texas in 2009 - the most recent year for which data was available - including 41 deaths.

"Drivers simply do not realize the dangers that are posed when they take their eyes and minds off the road and their hands off the wheel and focus on activities other than driving," Carol Rawson, Texas Department of Transportation traffic operations director, said during the campaign kickoff.
                    The texting ban that passed Sunday had been inserted into an unrelated bill, which grants former peace officers the ability to carry a concealed handgun without a license.

Gordon Dickson, 817-390-7796
                    Men have become the tools of their tools.
                    -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Working...
                    X