X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round 3, Wood this time, The Dresser.

Things are slow at work and I am bored.

So to add to my other project threads:

I've had this idea for a long time and I have built lots of stuff out of car parts but when Crash posted the table he pin stripped, I just had to go out and throw mine together. It should hold a beer or two. I needed it a little taller to match my chairs so I added a few lobes to make a V12 cam. Only the best parts. 289

After the fine reviews regarding my pub table, I thought I'd share another recent project. It's a little slow here at work today too. :27: Minus the wheels, the smoker is 100% recycled, re-purposed, used or scrap materials. Enjoy. Bill Of Materials Water heater tank. Found it in the New Mexico desert years ago and

Here's a little project I did over the Christmas holiday.

This time, instead of metal, I went back to wood. Other than construction/framing and small type stuff, I haven't worked with wood to this extent in almost 20 years.

Unlike the others, there is no recycling this time around. All new, I killed trees, I used out gassing stains and sprayed clear finishes containing carcinogens. All in all, this project probably made Baby Jesus cry.

So on with the build.

I'm lacking a few pics due to getting involved and simply forgetting to take some. But it started with a trip to the hardwood supply in Dallas for some rough cut 1x's.

I won't bore you with the plans but I did model this with some really nice 3D software. Catia V5 if anyone is familiar with it.

Some of my help. I've got them trained. I'm their favorite Uncle.

After several cuts and a few runs through the plainer, I've got some pieces to start with.

Started laying it all out.

Framed out. This thing is huge.

Room behind the drawers to hide the dead Asian Hookers with access panel.

Coming along.

Drawer assembly and install.

Drawer face install.

VoilĂ !, it's home and ready to stain. The center leg is temporary.

Comment

A little stain. A little clear.

Almost done, a couple knobs and attach the center panel. It folds down to access the area behind it.

And a little surprise. Disregard the battery. My power supply hadn't come in yet.

Not sure if this works because I can't see it at work. If not, I'll fix it tonight. I had to compress the video so it seems choppy and slow. Wireless remote control and it take 27 seconds to fully extend.

Click me..
      Last edited by homealone; 05-13-2011, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Very nice!

When I saw the space behind the drawers I thought "there better be a tv going in there".

Comment

very nice... build me one!
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
            Very nice!

When I saw the space behind the drawers I thought "there better be a tv going in there".
            I actually designed it around a bigger 50" tv but I had issues finding a lift mechanism. Plus the speakers in the 50" pointed straight down. So I put my 46" tv in there.

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
            very nice... build me one!
            I hear that a lot.

Comment

What kind of coin would it take to get you to build another?
              G'Day Mate

Comment

what did you line the drawers with? total investment in all material? My stain jobs always look like poop what are you applying with?

Comment

Originally posted by homealone View Post
                  I actually designed it around a bigger 50" tv but I had issues finding a lift mechanism. Plus the speakers in the 50" pointed straight down. So I put my 46" tv in there.

I hear that a lot.
                  shit, I bet, that thing is bad ass
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Nice job. Fuckin green carpet is choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Grimpala View Post
                      What kind of coin would it take to get you to build another?
                      I can't even put a price on it. No plans to build another one but I have designed the nightstands and bed to go with it.

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                      what did you line the drawers with? total investment in all material? My stain jobs always look like poop what are you applying with?
                      I just lightly sanded and applied paint for drawers. Walmart had tintable Kilz on clearance so I had them mix up a couple colors. I'm afraid to add it up but roughly I have $700 including the lift in it. Sad part is that I have about $400 in lumber and 25% of that ended up on the floor. I used Minwax stain. Its the new version you apply like paint with a foam brush, let it set and wipe it off. I like it. You can see if you are getting good coverage. One thing is that some woods will get blotchy if you don't use a conditioner. It actually seals the pores so you don't get dark spots.

Originally posted by fartsmeller View Post
                      Nice job. Fuckin green carpet is choice!
                      Hunter Green rules. You should see the floor to ceiling mirrors and some of the wallpaper.

Comment

Oh, and if any of you guys watch a lot of late night infomercials and have seen the Kreg Jig stuff, it works pretty good.

Comment

Very Nice! I was reading about the Kreg stuff the other day - I think I'll invest in one in the near future.
                          - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
                          1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
                            Very Nice! I was reading about the Kreg stuff the other day - I think I'll invest in one in the near future.
                            Home Depot carries the stuff if you want to check it out in person.

Comment

I like
                              1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Working...
                              X