No announcement yet.

1964 FORD FAIRLANE FE 427 4sp"REAL" THUNDERBOLT #68/100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of the original burgundy group 1 cars are left? I'd imagine that the one auto car would be worth some coin at this point.

Comment

Fantastic car. There are a couple pics here.
      I have an obsession with sixties Comets, Fairlanes too. Lets see some pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        How many of the original burgundy group 1 cars are left? I'd imagine that the one auto car would be worth some coin at this point.
        I want to say only six still exist from what I’ve read from various sources. Of course you get those crazy barn find stories and when these cars became valuable then fakes showed up like crazy! At the 45th. Thunderbolt Anniversary in Dearborn, MI June 2009 all the owners had a reunion and four of the eleven group 1 cars were there at that show!

The first eleven owners were Dick Brannan, Bob Ford, Ed Martin Ford, Phil Bonner, Les Ritchey, Gas Ronda, Mickey Thompson, Wickersham Ford, Milo Coleman, and Butch Leal. They all payed $1 dollar for each thunderbolt!

Last edited by scootro; 05-07-2011, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
          I want to say only six still exist from what I’ve read from various sources. Of course you get those crazy barn find stories and when these cars became valuable then fakes showed up like crazy! At the 45th. Thunderbolt Anniversary in Dearborn, MI June 2009 all the owners had a reunion and four of the eleven group 1 cars were there at that show!

The first eleven owners were Dick Brannan, Bob Ford, Ed Martin Ford, Phil Bonner, Les Ritchey, Gas Ronda, Mickey Thompson, Wickersham Ford, Milo Coleman, and Butch Leal. They all payed $1 dollar for each thunderbolt!
          Talk about appreciation! Who was the loser that picked up the auto? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            Talk about appreciation! Who was the loser that picked up the auto? lol
            I believe Butch Leal had the first auto.

The automatic T-bolts that were equipped with the beefed-up Lincoln three-speed were quicker than the manuals, but Ford later installed an improved four-speed.

allot of guys swapped to an automatic in those cars because the thunderbolt was so violent that they needed both hands on the steering wheel! Phil Bonner said if you didn't brace your left arm hard enough between the steering wheel and the door while you were shifting then you were pretty much dead meat if the front wheels weren't in a straight line! Also he said it was one of the most dangerous cars he's ever driven!

Comment

And a lot of the auto's went back to sticks, because even with the tranny mods, they didn't always hold up well. The Lincoln auto they used was pre-C6 (Cruise-a-matic?) and it took some mods to hold it together.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                And a lot of the auto's went back to sticks, because even with the tranny mods, they didn't always hold up well. The Lincoln auto they used was pre-C6 (Cruise-a-matic?) and it took some mods to hold it together.
                yea that's true! it's amazing how soimple the four-speed is and it held up to big block abuse

Comment

Few years back at Noble...

Natural law. Sons are put on this earth to trouble their fathers.

Comment

Originally posted by 68RR View Post
                    If you reread my post you'll see where I did state my son's is a 63. Actually the first T-bolt was a 63. here's one site that has some good info on the bolts:

Bill

Zimmy!

Comment

Originally posted by 68RR View Post
                      Few years back at Noble...
                      awesome pics! thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post

I want the 64 Galaxie tow wagon!!!!!
                        92 LX 5.0

Comment

Get struck by the 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt
                          There is little besides a modified hood and missing high beams to indicate what is hiding beneath the fairly docile exterior of this 1964 Ford Fairlane. While it may look like an ordinary midsized passenger car, this particular Fairlane is one of the 100 427 equipped track beasts built by Ford in 1964. It's called the…

Comment

Working...
                          X