No announcement yet.

Antagonizing police video....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete abuse of powers by those officers. Hopefully they get fired.

Comment

Originally posted by 78X View Post
      Complete abuse of powers by those officers. Hopefully they get fired.
      I am not a cop sympathizer by any stretch, but those two fools went looking for trouble and found it. Whether or not the stop was legal is not something you are going to work out on the side of the road at night. The cops are going to win every time in that instance.
      If they wanted to get an illegal search/detainment on film, they should have just complied and gotten it all on video and then go speak to an attorney.

What is the law on these type of stops here in Texas? Can they just stop you to check your DL or to see if you are intoxicated? Seems like this would lead to nothing but trouble...there is no probably cause for the stop.

Comment

Originally posted by GE View Post
        DUI checkpoints in Texas are going through the legislature now, dunno if it'll stick this time or not.

Looks like this was in Cali. I'm curious as to how this has been ruled on before in regards to the Constitutionality of sobriety checkpoints and ID checks. If either of them are routinely done out there, I think these guys are fucked.
        States allow or disallow checkpoints for anything (DUI, drivers license, for the hell of it, etc) based upon their interpretation of the Constitution of the United States, as well as their state Constitution. There is a website out there somewhere that lists every state and says whether they allow them or not and if not, why they do not allow them.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          Because you are on a public roadway. Driving is a priviledge, not a right.
          Travel without disturbance is a Civil Right actually, As long as your not doing it for commerce. The actual term "drivers license" comes from the cattle days when they had to "drive" cattle across county lines. They had to file for a liscense. which was a priviledge
          first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
            I am not a cop sympathizer by any stretch, but those two fools went looking for trouble and found it. Whether or not the stop was legal is not something you are going to work out on the side of the road at night. The cops are going to win every time in that instance.
            If they wanted to get an illegal search/detainment on film, they should have just complied and gotten it all on video and then go speak to an attorney.

What is the law on these type of stops here in Texas? Can they just stop you to check your DL or to see if you are intoxicated? Seems like this would lead to nothing but trouble...there is no probably cause for the stop.
            An officer here in Texas can stop you at any time to check and see if you have a driver's license. But DUI checkpoints are not allowed here because of the way Texas interprets the US constitution. It is really bizarre. I don't know if someone has tested the driver's license stop to see if it is constitutional. I don't see how it could be but in reality some judge could say it is fine.

I agree the dipshits went looking for trouble. Fucking morons. If you want to stop shit like this from happening, you never give the police the power to do it in the first place because you know once they can they will use (and abuse it) and push it as far as they possibly can to justify anything.
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?

Comment

Unless I break some sort of law or give some reason to be stopped don't fucking stop me, none of your damn business what I'm doing, how, when, etc

Comment

A police officer may not stop you simply to check your driver's license and registration; there must be an actual traffic violation or articulable suspicion of a crime
                first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                  That is not an answer to the question. This guy hates the police so I asked if he would rather there be no police. Most law abiding citizens, that have a job, and act right, actually like the police. I realize there are a fewww exceptions here and there but hey how about when you drive around you have a license? I know it is a lot to ask and all.
                  This country was founded by people who hated overbearing authority. You are in the wrong country if you want to promote the idea that people love authority. People here don't love it, they just tolerate it.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
                    A police officer may not stop you simply to check your driver's license and registration; there must be an actual traffic violation or articulable suspicion of a crime
                    Not in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                      This country was founded by people who hated overbearing authority. You are in the wrong country if you want to promote the idea that people love authority. People here don't love it, they just tolerate it.

Five star post right here.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                        Not in Texas.
                        maybe so, but i know i got out of a ticket in richardson courts because the officer couldn't prove he had a "valid cause of action" to pull me over. judge dismissed the ticket
                        first class white trash

Comment

Those kids didn't do anything illegal. They clearly wanted the cops to show their ass, and succeeded but that still doesn't give cops license to over step the position.

Comment

I have been stopped at DUI checkpoints in Tahlequah, Oklahoma on vacation and in Tuscaloosa, Alabama at my families land. It has been my experience both times the officers look around the car and do a visual check on my DL. Both of these locations were known for drunk drivers causing accidents.
                            WRX

Comment

Ah, the "if I'm not detained, I must be free to go" myth. Ranks up there with those that believe taxes are illegal and they don't have to pay them. Go ahead and tell the IRS that you're not paying, see what happens; the same thing that happened here - the powers that be are going to get their way, period.

That doesn't mean I like it, but that's the way it is, and getting yourself arrested or posting a video on youtube isn't going to do a damn thing to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                                Because you are on a public roadway. Driving is a priviledge, not a right.
                                Delaware v. Prouse says you are taking it to the junk on this one and only Darth Vader, errrr I mean William Rehnquist, was a dissent.

Facts of the Case:
                                A Delaware patrolman stopped William Prouse's car to make a routine check of his driver's license and vehicle registration. The officer had not observed any traffic violation or suspicious conduct on the part of Prouse. After stopping the car, the officer uncovered marijuana. The marijuana was later used to indict Prouse.

Question:
                                Did the officer's search of Prouse's automobile constitute an unreasonable search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment?

Conclusion:
                                Yes. In an 8-to-1 decision, the Court held that the privacy interests of travelers outweighed the state interests in discretionary spot checks of automobiles. The Court found that random checks made only marginal contributions to roadway safety and compliance with registration requirements; less intrusive means could have been used to serve the same ends. Officers must be held to a "probable cause" standard for searches, otherwise individuals would be subject to "unfettered governmental intrusion" each time they entered an automobile.

Decisions

Decision: 8 votes for Prouse, 1 vote(s) against
                                Legal provision: Amendment 4: Fourth Amendment

Comment

Working...
                                X