DRZ400, what do I need to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRZ400, what do I need to do?

I have an 2001 DRZ400 dirt bike that I plan on selling soon, when I bought it about a 1 1/2 ago it ran great and I planned on trail riding, but never did.
    So it has pretty much sat all this time. I would start it and run it down the road and back, but this last time I think it's sat for too long.
    It still starts, no smoke, but now has a hard time staying running at idle and when riding, revving, the exhaust pops and crackles.
    It has a high compression piston
    taller rear spring
    hot start and compression dump lever
    It's the kick start only model, but has headlight and tail light
    It a good strong bike, just wanting to know what I can do or where to take it to get this taken care of as well as get a new chain and rear tire installed?
    2 Chronicles 7:14
    If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

carb. take it off and give it a good cleaning. simple

change the plug too

chain you can install yourself since youll be using a clip style master link. take the rear tire to jim sabin if youre around dallas.

Comment

how much for it as is?

Comment

The pilot jet is restricted/clogged in the carburetor. That's why it doesn't want to idle and popping a lot. Can't help you much on recommendations for the repairs unless you are in the Sherman/Gainesville area.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
          how much for it as is?
          x2

I love mine...but so does my brother in law...and he's expressed interest in getting one of his own.

Comment

Thanks guys, I ended up taking to a small shop, really didn't feel like messing with it.

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
            The pilot jet is restricted/clogged in the carburetor. That's why it doesn't want to idle and popping a lot. Can't help you much on recommendations for the repairs unless you are in the Sherman/Gainesville area.
            Actually I am in that area and ended up taking it to a place in Pottsboro.
            Hopefully they do a good job, I took it to a Suzuki dealer here a few months ago for a once over and they couldn't even start it, asked them what they did to it and if they flooded it, and they did. I had it started in about 10 kicks.
            If My people, which are called by My name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Comment

I knew there were a couple independents in the Pottsboro / Denison Area. If I'm thinking right, the Pottsboro guys are pretty knowledgeable folks. I think I had a buddy that was working out there. Chris Balla (unsure on last name spelling)

Check out T&L Powersports in Gainesville, Tony is a great guy to deal with and has good help. He was the service manager at Red River Motorsports back when they had a good reputable shop going on. Migs is one of Tony's techs that used to work with him at Red River. http://www.tlpowersports.com 940 665 3706 or 940 736 5857.

Comment

I have a good factory carb I will sell you. I just bought a DRZ a few weeks ago and am really liking it. I have read to stay away from AM cams in it. I have the 3x3 (stupid basic mod) done, a 39mm carb upgrade, and AM pile with the stock silencer. Real fun bike for how old the design is.

Comment

$500.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    $500.
                    I'll counter at $600...and I'll raise you one ham sammich

Comment

601 and a picture of Jeff from a jail cell!
                      Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                        601 and a picture of Jeff from a jail cell!

Comment

If you decide to sell,pm me. Will buy as is

Comment

Should have just bought 2 new jets for it an put them in. Best carb fix the first time around. Less than $30.00 an about 30 minutes if u drink a six pack between jets.

Comment

LOL As stated in last post, took it to a local shop. Ended up getting the carb cleaned, new plug, new chain, new rear tire installed, new throttle cables (one was broke)and oil change.
                              Picking it up Fri.

Comment

Working...
                              X