Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would buy a KTM

Comment

I ride with a lot of guys on KTM's - every single one of them swear by the bike. I ride a 2010 YZ450F and I sure do envy their electric start buttons (of course, some Jap bikes have electric start).

The KTM's are more expensive because they are nicer bikes than the Jap bikes. The KTM comes with a lot of stuff that you have to buy aftermarket on the Jap bikes. Yeah, KTM dealers are fewer and further between, but I don't know that I would let that dissuade me from a KTM.

IMHO, you can't go wrong either way.

I will say that I would go with a Jap bike if I weren't a dedicated rider. Spend less if it's something you're not going to dedicate yourself to.

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        I agree...but unfortunately I've met more than a handful of people who bought a KTM because it was the most expensive....kind of like a status symbol.
        Those are the kinds of people that shouldnt be in this sport. They are easy to spot.

Comment

I came real close to buying one of their Quads. They are a few grand more, but they come with nice suspension, etc.... I would have saved money in the long run.

Comment

I got my boy a KTM sx50 senior for Christmas years ago and he rode it for 2 years. It was so much stronger than any other 50 I have seen. Hell, I could wheelie it and I weigh 170. I was very impressed with the quality and reliability.

I had to work on it a few times, but things were easy to get at and the engineering made sense <--goes a long way with me. But as stated above, the parts are expensive.

Originally posted by MattB View Post
            Get him a Honda CRF 50/70 or 80 if you want a "real" clutch/shifter IMO......
            What is wrong with the sx65's clutch and shifter? Lever too soft/easy?
            -Dustin
            '94 Cobra
            Coast High 408, AFR 205s,
            1-3/4" BBK LTs, Tremec TKO,
            ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
            10" lift, 38s

Comment

I've owned several KTM 2 strokes over the years, and a couple of YZ250F's. I like the KTM for their 2 stroke line up, which is far better than what's left of the Jap 2T's.

The KTM 2 stroke is not any more expensive to maintain than a Japanese 2 stroke. Actually, it may be less, since the stock piston can go for many more hours than the stock piston on a Jap 2T.

If you want a fast light MX bike the new 250SX rips from what I hear, I haven't gotten to ride one yet. If 4T is what you want I've never owned a KTM 4T so I can't comment on those, but the 350SX is said to be a great bike. All the newer 4T's are pretty nice, it's hard to choose a MX these days. As far as well equipped cross country race bike, KTM can't be beat. They are a bit more on initial cost, but it would cost you more to equip a Jap bike with the same components the KTM comes with stock.

For those that say a KTM 4T costs more to maintain, what exactly costs more to maintain on the KTM vs a Jap 4 stroke?

Comment

what components do you speak of?

brembos? hydraulic clutch?

Comment

That new 125cc duke is terts! I would rock d shit out of this!