No announcement yet.

RIP pro mx'er Josh Lichtle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there was hardly anybody at the pit MX on monday .
    I think i was there for a couple hours with no one parked.
    eventually a few trucks, etc showed up.
    guy i been riding with has about had heat exhaustion both times.
    can only ride about 20 minutes before you have to sit down for over 30 minutes to recoup!
    we setup a small amount of shade (10x10 tarp lol) and the whole 4 ppl at the track came over to hide under it.

the first time it got over a 100 a month or so ago I thought I was getting heat exhausted driving back with no A/C from the track.
    I really think getting outside, working in it, and being acclimated has a lot to do with it. Since then I've been doing misc work outside and not had any problems with overheating.

Comment

I rode today from about 945a to 11:37a and got all I needed. Burned over 2000 calories and when I left it was just cracking over 90 so I didnt even need the ac but it was starting to get there. I always pack a lot of snacks and drinks. These drinks are zero carb and packed with vitamins. I drank 3 of them suckers in that time. LOL It wasnt really bad but a couple of guys showed up around 11a and I had to chase them down and lap them so i was pushing it a little. It's not often that I am to much faster then 20 years olds so I was having a good time on my 4 wheeler, they looked to be on newer four stroke dirt bikes. Track was rough as hell.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

R.I.P.

Load up on potassium before, like bananas. It will help the body retain water and not dehydrate so easy. Heat stroke is a real killer this time of year and everyone should know how to detect early signs, or they'll find their buddy in a tight ball of cardiovascular shut down.

Comment

So while we are on the subject, what are the signs/symptoms of heat exhaustion or stroke ?

Normally when I go ride , I drink plenty of water and Gatorade, is that enough ?

I'm wondering if I had heat exhaustion last Saturday or just drank to much considering how hot it was.nAfter the first two motos, I wasn't feeling well ( had about 6 beers in me ), had to go to the truck and drink water and Gatorade , then had to take a 30-35 min nap. I was fine from there on out. I'm thinking I just drank too much and didn't drink enough water.
          Last edited by Txstang1; 07-07-2011, 02:12 PM.
          Vortex rear stand $75
          8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
          My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
          but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
          11 4 door
          13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

I would recommend to stay away from everything except water during exposure. Don't ingest freezing cold water either, as it sends your body into shut-down mode. Cold liquid might seem refreshing but it will be detrimental to your continued exposure. Save the cold stuff for your recovery. That is don't ingest it, but by all means pour it on you! Save the Gatorade for after, for the recovery. It also helps to drink it warm, helping it enter the body faster.

I used to walk 10 miles a day in this heat so I knew what worked for me. I would also ride in this heat. When I rode, I would wear a cotton undershirt and soak it with cold water every once in a while. It was a perfect air conditioner with a little wind.

Comment

definitely don't drink alcohol or the night before * if possible *

water or liquids alone will not keep you from heat exhaustion in my experiences.

I don't really know any medical shit , but heat exhaustion initial signs are :

naseua (possibly vomiting if you are really stupid enough to overdue it)
              inability to think clearly (first sign if you ask me)
              breathing very heavy but getting the feeling it isn't working (may happen irregardless!)
              sweating profusely , duh!
              when anything other than sleeping sounds impossible (already heat exhausted)
              forgetting something you know how to do (again , not thinking clearly)

I'd say the most obvious thing you can do to avoid heat exhausting is to limit your exposure to the heat!
              take LOTs of breaks and for long enough time. In the shade, with little gear on as possible. Pour water on you! SIT DOWN

best thing we found was a towel soaked in ice water wrapped around your head like shiek in the middle east. Almost as good as A/C, but it warms up quickly and you have to recharge it with more frozen water.
              get those damn boots off too!

Comment

See if I can remember this right and this is basically what they taught us in the Army, I'm sure doctor Dave can pick it apart but they are good guidelines.

They taught us there are 3 levels of heat injuries. Heat exhaustion, heat cramps and heat stroke.

Heat Exhaustion
                -Hot
                -Swollen/clammy skin (notice this when hot/running)
                -Sweating may cease
                -Headache (I get a mild to severe one just ahead of my temples)
                -Dizzy
                -Nauseous (I get this, but usually heavier after cooling down)

Heat Cramps:
                -I don't remember all the other ones, but the obvious is cramping. The cramping may happen even AFTER you've stopped and cooled off.

Heat Stroke:
                -I don't remember the details here either, but chances are it won't matter. I know you'll be laid out and requiring external assistance and will be in the hospital.

You should never let it get much past heat exhaustion. Also, there is a myth/rumor that once you get to heat stroke, you'll never be able to withstand heat very well again.

To add on to futant's remedies - cold around the neck works well for me, sipping water and of course shade. A big one is, if you have to - ask for help. Any athletic/racing...etc event I don't think anyone will ever mind giving you water, shade and so forth to make sure you don't fall out.

The other week I had heat exhaustion pretty bad. Even taking my t-shirt off (sweat soaked) airing it to cool and putting on my neck helped a lot. I did this several times getting back to my truck. Took breaks in the shade (which was tough, since I fell down a few times getting up!), repeated the sweaty shirt thing and going sloooow.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                X