Grass.... man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass.... man

So i am starting a new section of grass in the backyard and looking for ideas...

Where I am planting/ seeding has been covered by a wood deck for the last 7-8 years so there is absolutely nothing but dirt.

Not a huge area but maybe 500-600 sq feet.

High dog traffic. (2-60+ Lb terrorists) Not much in the way of people or lawn furniture, most of that activity stays on the rock/wood deck parts that are still left in the yard.

Lots of Sunlight but, we have 8 huge old oaks in the yard that were trimmed up pretty high this year.

I am starting with a blank canvas.

What kind of grass should I try to grow and when should I start?

Thank you in advance.

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
    So i am starting a new section of grass in the backyard and looking for ideas...

Where I am planting/ seeding has been covered by a wood deck for the last 7-8 years so there is absolutely nothing but dirt.

Not a huge area but maybe 500-600 sq feet.

High dog traffic. (2-60+ Lb terrorists) Not much in the way of people or lawn furniture, most of that activity stays on the rock/wood deck parts that are still left in the yard.

Lots of Sunlight but, we have 8 huge old oaks in the yard that were trimmed up pretty high this year.

I am starting with a blank canvas.

What kind of grass should I try to grow and when should I start?

Thank you in advance.
    I am not following 100% Where this deck used to be sit, was there grass surrounding it or is your entire backyard dirt? If you just have a patch of dirt why not just fill it in with the same kind of grass that takes up the rest of your yard?
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
      I am not following 100% Where this deck used to be sit, was there grass surrounding it or is your entire backyard dirt? If you just have a patch of dirt why not just fill it in with the same kind of grass that takes up the rest of your yard?
      Sorry,

After re-reading my post is somewhat confusing. The entire back yard was deck/ stone. There is no grass what so ever in the entire back yard. About 40% of the deck was rotting away and the other 60% is still in great shape. I am in the process of ripping out the 40% of deck and we decided to get grass going where the deck once was. There will still be way more deck than we will ever want or need.

Comment

Also, I will post some before pictures of the backyard... Its a pretty big yard and the entire thing was deck or patio. Lots of time and money went into it but the P/O of the house did not take care of it like they should.

Comment

Supposedly fescue is good with low light an high traffic. A buddy of mine is doing the same at his house, and he said fescue was rated higher than the rest as far as traffic wear. He tried the St Augustine sod route, and the dogs tore it to shit.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            Supposedly fescue is good with low light an high traffic. A buddy of mine is doing the same at his house, and he said fescue was rated higher than the rest as far as traffic wear. He tried the St Augustine sod route, and the dogs tore it to shit.
            I did St Augustine at a previous house with 3 dogs will similar results... Neither of our Dogs dig anymore but both of them like to chase either around in circles for hours on end.

Comment

Whatever you end up doing, you need to keep the dogs off of it for a good while. Especially if you seed. Or it won't ever take root and grow.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                Whatever you end up doing, you need to keep the dogs off of it for a good while. Especially if you seed. Or it won't ever take root and grow.
                Kinda Figured as Much... Hopefully the ol lady won't mind some orange construction fence in the backyard... Haha

Comment

if they tore up st. augustine then they will destroy fescue as it is not very hardy in our are unless you are about 100 shade, and even then you have to keep adding seed to it year to keep any kind of decent stand.

Comment

Anybody have a good place for pricing on a pallet on St. Augustine?

I put one pallet down so far and need another one this weekend. Closer to NRH the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
                      Anybody have a good place for pricing on a pallet on St. Augustine?

I put one pallet down so far and need another one this weekend. Closer to NRH the better.
                      Plant Shed. Look them up online, you can usually find coupons for sod.

Comment

The only place I've been is A1 Grass. Several locations, just google it. They have display areas with their different grasses growing to give you an idea of what the finished lawn should look like. As for prep, I would bomb the hell out of it with roundup to kill everything, till in a soil mix to loosen the clay and grade it appropriately. Make sure it's the original roundup and not the extended kill version. I would also install a sprinkler system if you don't already have one.

Comment

And...

Comment

Working...
                          X