Roof Ridge Vents / Insight on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lowfast View Post
    I agree, sealed attic is best, but in a retrofit situation this is not easy or many times cost effective.

We are going with sealed attic on our new build. Never made sense to me to run duct work through a non-insulated space.
    Ask them if the HVAC system was adjusted for the sealed attic. My contractor typically re-engineers the house when they know that we are doing a sealed attic.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by sosoe View Post
      I noticed yesterday when I was up there that, I had these baffles in my attic, and now I understand why. Air passage from the soffit vents across the side of the whole house.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions...ttic-room-mean
      More importantly, it keeps the soffit vents from getting completely blocked by blown insulation and debris.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        Ask them if the HVAC system was adjusted for the sealed attic. My contractor typically re-engineers the house when they know that we are doing a sealed attic.
        x2... any new build these days should get a manual J for efficiency planning.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          You sure thats really enough soffit vents? I have no clue on the calculations. Lots of houses these days are going with continuous soffit vents.
          I don't remember the math, back when I was figuring it all out it worked out to more than plenty. As small as my house is, it's be difficult to add many more.

I will say that when I cut the hole in the roof for the fan, it felt like blast furnace. I couldn't believe how much hot air was flowing through the attic and out of that hole.

For my specific situation, adding the fan made all the difference in the world. I now need to replace the fan with a solar unit.

Comment

If you have a pull down stair into the attic, leaving the door open about a foot will really aide those ridge vents. Lots of air can rise through that opening.

Comment

Originally posted by FastFox View Post
              If you have a pull down stair into the attic, leaving the door open about a foot will really aide those ridge vents. Lots of air can rise through that opening.
              The pitfall to this is that there is no supply air. Air up requires air in. If there isn't a vent or you leave the garage door open a bit, I'm not sure you would see significant benefit from this.

Comment

Working...
              X