Decking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decking

In addition to my storage unit in the back yard, I am trying to finish up my patio. I pulled some of my pavers and extended an 8' wide section out about 3-3.5' to lead to a ground level deck for my grill. I am planning to set the deck boards at a 45 degree angle along the center line like so:

I've built the base out of treated 2x6 with the same general construction as my shed. joist hangers, 3 x 3" deck screws in each end. I doubled the center joist so I had enough lumber to fasten the deck ends to, which left me with joists 15" on center. I haven't decided yet if I want to do a nicer wood for the top of the deck or just stain it all. I plan to stain it a dark walnut color to match my cedar post and shutters in the front yard.

My question is this, what is the best way to blind fasten the decking? I don't want to do a decorative deck floor and have fasteners every 15". I would prefer not to have to buy a special tool for a blind fastener system though I'm not opposed to renting one if I can through one of the big box home stores.
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Depends on the material you choose for decking. We offer Eb-Ty hidden fastening system, but we also have low profile, colored screws that don't mushroom on composite/PVC deck boards. You barely notice them even when you're looking for them.

Oh, and my .02 on decking, go with a Fiberon type material. That stuff is kick ass.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
      Depends on the material you choose for decking. We offer Eb-Ty hidden fastening system, but we also have low profile, colored screws that don't mushroom on composite/PVC deck boards. You barely notice them even when you're looking for them.

Oh, and my .02 on decking, go with a Fiberon type material. That stuff is kick ass.
      If it were in the budget, I'd go with composite decking. I'm trying to knock out as many projects as I can before the baby comes. Combine that with the added expense and additional medical bills, and I am having to really stretch my budget!

I am going to use 5/4 6" premium pressure treated decking and stain it. I'm going to give the Camo system a whirl. I ordered the marksman edge tool that allows the boards to be set at 0 gap so the gap doesn't become too large when they dry/shrink. It seemed to be the best bang for the buck.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
      X