Flood is gone, so is the creek bank - need to build retaining wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood is gone, so is the creek bank - need to build retaining wall

Pictures are hard to see and do not do it a whole lot of justice. We have a significant creek that runs by our detached garage. It drains very fast never a flood issue, the shop sits a few feet above top of creek bank, but with the rains like we had lat week it will get to tops of its banks before it starts going back down. There was an old "retaining wall" in place but come to find out it was only 2 timbers on top of each other.

SO i think a few trees washed down got tangled in some vines as you can see by this picture and basically made a dam. THe water started rushing around it and ate through a huge chunk of ground.

It is about a 10' deep creek. The wash out goes about 8' from the bank toward my garage. SO all in all it is about a 10' deep, 7' wide 8' cut from the creek washout.

As you can see it ate up about 8' from the existing creek bank all the way to the old "set timbers" and it is within about 4' from the slab of my garage.

I am worried if another heavy rain comes it will continue to eat through the already exposed cut.

So here is a little sketch of what I am thinking. It rains about once a year where the creek gets close to the top. So i was thinking of building a retaining wall at the existing edge of creek bank but have it angled back into the actual creek bank on either side then fill it in with quickcrete dirt, or a mixture. I do not think i would make it match the top of the bank though, just about halfway where normal creek currents would run in a mild-heavy rain.

See any issues with this??? would a curved one like this make the water cut more into the other side of it?

First thing I would do is contact the corp of engineers and find out what restrictions you may be limited to doing on your own. We ran into a similar issue and had to do everything through them until the city could do the necessary stuff on their end to fix it.

Comment

really think that is necessary here? I thought the corp only dealt with navigable waters? This is really just a localized drainage that eventually runs into a locals pond? We are wayy away form the city limits here also...i know that doesnt matter but....

Comment

Originally posted by zachary View Post
        really think that is necessary here? I thought the corp only dealt with navigable waters? This is really just a localized drainage that eventually runs into a locals pond? We are wayy away form the city limits here also...i know that doesnt matter but....
        It may have been because our creek drains to a lake. But the corps did take issue until the city stepped in and did the project themselves and worked with the corps.

Comment

Well i figured it could be that hard so i tried it myself!

I did a two stage wall for the washout part take some weight off the creek side wall. Put metal on creek side to keep water off the treated lumber. between the metal and the 2x6's are the 4x4's, i also drove 6' tposts down between the 4x4's for a little extra! 4x4 posts were about 3' in, cemented them in then put 15 bags of concrete in the bottom of washout just to solidify it all together!

Then one 10 yard load of dirt, had to move by HAND not big enough for equipment back there ;(

Went ahead and made it bigger because i had a little extra dirt!

I have been thinking of a lean too off the side of the detatched garage for a while...not that this is built up so solid..i may actually poor come concrete or deck this area for additional four wheeler lawn mower parking etc...

Comment

That will only work for so long, that wall will need to be built from below the water up.

Comment

Working...
            X