General Finish Gel Stain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Finish Gel Stain

Every since I purchased my new home back in 2009 I have never liked the light color of the wood cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms. I have been kicking around the idea of giving them a makeover using some of the General Finish Gel Stain (Java Color). I've read pretty good things about it on the web but was just wondering if any of you guys have actually used it before and if so how did you like or dislike it?

Gel wood stains are heavy-bodied and do not penetrate as deeply as liquid oil-based wipe-on stains, providing the deepest, richest colors of any oil-based stain.

a couple guys on here have used it to reface their cabinets with good success, i think CWO and bcoop maybe?

Comment

We used it on our cabinets and we're happy with the results.

Comment

Did you use a sponge brush to apply it or something else? Did you sand in between coats?

Comment

We only did a light sand before staining. We applied it using socks, which something my wife found on line. I would have thought to use a brush too, but the socks did fine. They also have a clear coat you need to put in too.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
            We only did a light sand before staining. We applied it using socks, which something my wife found on line. I would have thought to use a brush too, but the socks did fine. They also have a clear coat you need to put in too.
            I use a sock any time I stain, whether it is raw wood or refinish. Just make sure that your surface is smooth, otherwise it will snag the fibers in the sock and cause you some issue.
            Originally posted by Leah
            Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

The socks didn't leave streak marks or any other type of marks? Seems like that's the easiest way to do it. I'll probably do a very light sand between each coat to get off any dust or particles that might be on there before I apply the next coat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike69 View Post
                The socks didn't leave streak marks or any other type of marks? Seems like that's the easiest way to do it. I'll probably do a very light sand between each coat to get off any dust or particles that might be on there before I apply the next coat.
                It shouldn't, though I have never done gel stain. I work with old furniture mostly so I strip down past old varnish.

If it were me, I would clean everything EXTREMELY well, tape off the A/C vent and tent the area with plastic, clean everything again, and then stain. It will help prevent getting dust and junk in the finish. It may be over kill, but your cabinets are the most visible item in your kitchen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

I use 0000 steel wool to lightly sand between stains when varnishing stuff, then wipe clean with a damp rag and let dry before next coat

Comment

What grit do you recommend for the first sanding for prep?

Comment

I generally start with 220

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Would it be ok to use some of those 3M stripping pads since all that is required is light sanding?

Comment

That may work, I've never used it, the only thing that concerns me is the size of the fibers. you don't want to leave any grooves or large indentations.

Comment

Working...
                          X