Cove lighting / indirect lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cove lighting / indirect lighting

I'm knocking out projects in the house fairly regular lately and I was considering some form of indirect lighting in the living room and possibly the master bedroom. Neither room has overhead lights and the living room needs the crown molding replaced(I sorta destroyed the old stuff when removing the wood paneling).

I was wondering if anyone has done this themselves. Where they got their kit from(ebay, amazon, etc...), and if it's enough to light up the room thoroughly.

Something like this:

Yes, I have. It's very simple. Use LED strips (not the rope kind). They come with a remote, and you can switch colors from the remote.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006JUW77Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1444220853&sr=8-2&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=hit+light+led&dpPl=1&dpID =51op%2B684XEL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

For distances greater than 16', you can connect strands. However, you will need to purchase an amplifier to put between them, or they will get progressively dimmer down the line.

When I use the white setting, it's brighter than any incandescent. They last forever. I can't give you a reason not to do it.

You just have to figure out how to get power there. I had an outlet placed when the house was being built.
    Last edited by diablo rojo; 10-07-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Let me know if you need any help.
      Last edited by diablo rojo; 10-07-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

How well do the RGB strips do a warm white? I am primarily looking for "normal" lighting. I'm not a fan of the neutral/cool white that some of them put out. Makes it seem like an institution or hospital setting.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
          How well do the RGB strips do a warm white? I am primarily looking for "normal" lighting. I'm not a fan of the neutral/cool white that some of them put out. Makes it seem like an institution or hospital setting.
          It's important to understand that you aren't going to get it as bright as day. The oranges and yellows are primarily what I use. They light up the room just fine, and then I'll dim them for a movie.

Here's a picture with them dimmed. (Sorry, it's the only one I have on my phone).

Comment

How is it currently illuminated?

I don't see ceiling height, indirect led strips being enough for proper illumination.

Comment

Working...
            X