Help me pick a nice Soundbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick a nice Soundbar

Looking at purchasing a soundbar/sub combo.

We recently moved into a home with a huge vaulted ceiling and I have chosen to go w/ a soundbar set up in the living room/kitchen area instead of using the pre-wired stuff.

I can't locate the wires in the wall... and the first owner does not know where they terminate in the wall and ceiling. I could chase down the wires in the ceiling and have tried to find the wires in the wall w/ a low cost "tone generator". I didn't have much luck as the toner all sounded the same.

So I am looking to buy something nice but not break the bank. It will be far more cost effective and take less time. Open to any and all suggestions for something you guys have first hand experience with! Thanks for your help

Check into these two...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-J470-Channel-Wireless-Soundbar/dp/B00VNHE26W[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB4051-C0-Wireless-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00SMBGP76/ref=dp_ob_title_ce[/ame]

Comment

Id still go with a receiver and speaker combo. Front and center channel speaker wiring come off the receiver to the speakers which are close. Your rears are a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        Id still go with a receiver and speaker combo. Front and center channel speaker wiring come off the receiver to the speakers which are close. Your rears are a different story.
        I too agree...but what's nice about these systems are that they are wireless between the soundbar and the rear speakers(the rear speakers plug into the subwoofer/reciever in the rear).

I have one of each of these systems in the bedrooms and they work rather well.
        Of course, in my theatre room...I have a 5.1 system.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          Our living room and kitchen are all one big space. I'm not interested in a 5.1 system or one with rear speakers for that reason. It's not a media room but we want to add the ability for good sound when we entertain. No need for rear speakers a all.

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
          I too agree...but what's nice about these systems are that they are wireless between the soundbar and the rear speakers(the rear speakers plug into the subwoofer/reciever in the rear).

I have one of each of these systems in the bedrooms and they work rather well.
          Of course, in my theatre room...I have a 5.1 system.
          If I was to do a receiver set up I would have flush mount speakers put in the wall and ceiling but I am not going to do that. The wiring is all there but tracing it down will result in many holes. I am not interested in the expense based on our needs.

A simple soundboard/sub combo that puts out crisp sound is all we need. Going to be hooked up to the TV and then play music. I listed to a really nice klipsch bar today but it was 6hundo. More than I wanted to spend.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions but the additional speakers are not necessary and my wife doesn't want them detracting from the look of her living space.

Comment

JBL SB300

Large system for a large area. I too have a combined living room and kitchen. Highs are crystal clear, bass is ferocious. This system can get LOUD
            Always gets compliments on looks and sound when entertaining. I use this for everything from Rick Ross to Satie.

Previous sounbars:
            $350 LG: soundbar was decent. bass was loud and raunchy. Had this for about a year but I knew their were better systems out there.
            $450 Sony: soundbar offered crystal clear highs although volume was maxed out for normal tv watching. Bass was non-existent. I was only able to stand this for about a month then wised up and bought the JBL

Too bad you're not local. I enjoy this set up so much I purchased an identical back up system just before JBL stopped production, but two years later the original is still going strong. I put it up on clist a few weeks ago. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/5225076458.html
            Last edited by hxbernal; 09-22-2015, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. The decent ones lack bass. The kitsch was awesome but was ugly

Comment

we have the bose cenemate 15, and its wonderful. also have the vizio we bought at costco, its really nice too.

Comment

Sonos!
                  Love their products
                  And their sub is killer for a wireless piece
                  Experience immersive 3D sound for movies, sports, games, and more. Sonos Arc's upward-firing drivers create a multi-dimensional soundstage that moves around you, rendering every detail with dramatic clarity and depth. Enjoy control with your remote, the app, your voice, and Apple AirPlay 2.

Connect Sub to your Sonos system for powerful low-end sound. Add incredible depth to your music, movies, games, and more, without any rattle or vibration. Sub's award-winning sculptural shape and high-gloss finish make it the perfect centerpiece for your home sound system.

Comment

Originally posted by hxbernal View Post
                    JBL SB300

Large system for a large area. I too have a combined living room and kitchen. Highs are crystal clear, bass is ferocious. This system can get LOUD
                    Always gets compliments on looks and sound when entertaining. I use this for everything from Rick Ross to Satie.

Previous sounbars:
                    $350 LG: soundbar was decent. bass was loud and raunchy. Had this for about a year but I knew their were better systems out there.
                    $450 Sony: soundbar offered crystal clear highs although volume was maxed out for normal tv watching. Bass was non-existent. I was only able to stand this for about a month then wised up and bought the JBL

Too bad you're not local. I enjoy this set up so much I purchased an identical back up system just before JBL stopped production, but two years later the original is still going strong. I put it up on clist a few weeks ago. http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/5174386404.html
                    +1 for JBL and Harman Kardan. I have an SB26 that I picked up on clearance and love it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I never would have associated JBL with quality so I will give them a listen. We are still searching. I like the son's but don't like the price

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                        Thanks for the replies. I never would have associated JBL with quality so I will give them a listen. We are still searching. I like the son's but don't like the price
                        HARMAN is now the parent company behind an array of legendary brands that includes Harman Kardon, JBL, Mark Levinson, AKG and Infinity

Comment

HARMAN is now the parent company behind an array of legendary brands that includes Harman Kardon, JBL, Mark Levinson, AKG and Infinity
                          Yep. I even picked up a JBL Soundbar at NFM during their grand opening. It was $99 (didn't have a sub but had a sub out and wasn't bluetooth). I needed it for our workout room and had an extra powered sub just sitting around. That small room has a large treadmill and elliptical, some floor space for light workouts, a 42" TV with soundbar and 8" sub. It sounds incredible in there because of it. I can just plug my phone into the accessory line too for music. We actually play music through it often since it's just off our kitchen.

Comment

Great info!

Comment

Originally posted by akfodysvn View Post
                              I never would have associated JBL with quality so I will give them a listen.
                              Why not? Ever been to a movie theater? That's the commercial division of JBL

To answer your original question; I have Samsung sound bars in the bedrooms. They sound quite good and won't break the bank. Bluetooth works great. You don't need to spend more than $300 for a quality soundbar, especially for those of us that already have a dedicated HT. That's my suggestion.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-J450-Channel-Wireless-Soundbar/dp/B00TKPAWFO[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X