Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better to build a deck or do a retaining wall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better to build a deck or do a retaining wall?

Have a slope in the backyard that drops about 3feet from where the pool is. It floods everytime it rains as well so I'm wanting to either build a deck or a retaining wall.

Which would be better in terms of a diy project?
    Last edited by 03mustangdude; 05-22-2014, 02:26 PM.

Does it slope to, or from the house?

Comment

Slopes away from house/pool about 3-4 feet away from pool to fence.

Comment

MikeC will know what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          MikeC will know what to do.
          Yeah call that guy... As long as you are cool with trespassing a year later...
          sigpic

Comment

I'm not understand why a deck or retaining wall. Do you want to just build a deck over the water when it is flooded? Why not try and get rid of the water?

Or, do you want to recover the area to use for sitting in chairs, etc.? If so, I'd say deck, but depending on how much water stays there, you may want to still try and get rid of the excess water to avoid rotting the wood faster.

Comment

Wanting to try to recover the area for chairs n such. Water doesn't stay in my yard it drains into my neighbors yard and floods half of his. He doesn't seem to care though

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                Wanting to try to recover the area for chairs n such. Water doesn't stay in my yard it drains into my neighbors yard and floods half of his. He doesn't seem to care though
                Then the deck would be the least expensive option.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Final question; do you leave a 1 in gap beside the pool to allow for expansion or do you butt it up and leave a gap on the other side by the fence , couldn't find an answer online.

In ground pool.

Comment

We did a retaining wall. Still have a few things left I want to do to make it not as noticeable but I wouldnt' have done it any other way.

Comment

Pictures, need them.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Has a deck on one side that someone put down some 2x8 on the ground and screwed some boards gonna tear that up and make a deck all the way around. Tried to use level for an idea of a slope.

Pics

Comment

Im still going with decking it.

You dont want to have fits with drainage and runnoff going back into the pool, and you have that great step that will make the deck flush up against it. Plus you wont have to mow.
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Yeah seeing the pics I'd maybe raise places that flood a little and deck it. Really not enough room there for a decent retaining wall.
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

So going with a deck would it be better to do a Dek-Block preformed concrete block or dig out a hole with a auger and pour the cement.

Comment

Working...
                              X