Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Grass seed or way to get grass to grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Grass seed or way to get grass to grow?

I will be closing on my house on 4/24. The front and side yards will be sodded, but the back yard I don't believe will be.

We have good soil, what is the best seed/product to use, that won't break the bank, to get grass to come in and make a nice lawn? Back yard is about 1/4 acre.
    Also, anything I should use on the front to ensure the sod takes hold and is healthy?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
    I will be closing on my house on 4/24. The front and side yards will be sodded, but the back yard I don't believe will be.

We have good soil, what is the best seed/product to use, that won't break the bank, to get grass to come in and make a nice lawn? Back yard is about 1/4 acre.
    Also, anything I should use on the front to ensure the sod takes hold and is healthy?
    Will you have a sprinkler system?

I ask because if not you will want a drought tolerant grass. Also will your yard have many shaded spots or will it primarily be full sun? I've done landscaping, lawn care, and irrigation systems for about 9years now with my father in law. I have quite a few suggestions based on my experiences once I have a better idea what you will be working with
    Last edited by thomasblively; 03-27-2014, 02:43 PM.

Comment

I have the same question. No sprinkler system, heavy shade (under two big pecan trees)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
        I have the same question. No sprinkler system, heavy shade (under two big pecan trees)

For you I would recommend a tall fescue mixture(if you wanted to be more specific their is a dense shade mix available). It grows well in shade(minimum of 3 hours of sunlight) and is a lower maintenance grass. It is also a drought tolerant grass. Scotts offers a new grass feed mix that really helps with the growth especially during the beginning stages.

Comment

Time to spread now?

Comment

It will have a sprinkler system, but don't know that I'll use it very often so a drought tolerant grass would be good. Also, no shade. I will plant trees but it will be several years before they produce any real shade...
            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Time to spread now?

After last frost??? We're in Texas so that could be May...

But seriously now should be fine

Comment

It will have a sprinkler system, but don't know that I'll use it very often so a drought tolerant grass would be good. Also, no shade. I will plant trees but it will be several years before they produce any real shade...
                Working up a suggestion now. No shade opens up the options a good bit. Do you want a higher maintenance or low maintenance... Budget for seed will also help me out

Comment

Something like kentucky 31? Gonna pick something up this weekend.

Should I spread a starter fertilizer with it?

Comment

Originally posted by thomasblively View Post
                    Working up a suggestion now. No shade opens up the options a good bit. Do you want a higher maintenance or low maintenance... Budget for seed will also help me out
                    $100 or less to start with?
                    Somewhat easy to maintain. Gets green in the spring, goes dormant in the winter and comes back again next spring...

Comment

Something like kentucky 31? Gonna pick something up this weekend.

Should I spread a starter fertilizer with it?

That will work... They have 32 which is a hyped up version. I usually use a starter with it just to help. Not that much of an added expense and it yields well in my experiences

Comment

$100 or less to start with?
                        Somewhat easy to maintain. Gets green in the spring, goes dormant in the winter and comes back again next spring...

Do you know what they will be sodding the front and sides with? You may want to do he back in something similar (st.augustine is a nightmare to do from seed and usually ends up costing more if it even takes)...

My recommendations would be either a Burmuda grass(10-20lbs)or possibly even a Tall Fescue(40-45lbs) mix. Those estimations are based on manufacturers suggested amounts for reseeding lawns. For brand new lawns you would need roughly 100lbs of tall fescue or 40 lbs of Bermuda. Some would say seeding a little heavy helps but it's not always needed. Since you will have the luxury of a sprinkler system to use sparing Burmuda may fit you best and save you more.
                        Last edited by thomasblively; 03-27-2014, 08:58 PM. Reason: Added new lawns from nothing amounts

Comment

Please verify amount needed when purchasing... My amounts may be off a little and hate to cost you

Comment

Working...
                          X