Front door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front door

Anyone have a good places they have used to buy a front door? We are needing a 36x96 front door and lowes/home depot are limited in this size. We want a rustic solid wood door with speakeasy style.

Id like to use a local company or someone who has done solid work in past to support the area. Let me know

Check craigslist if you haven't already. I bought a $2,000 door when I still lived in TX for $350. I wish I would have kept it when I moved.

Comment

You can get those speakeasy doors at Builders Surplus. They run $800-1000 or so if I recall (unfinished). Check out Resdoor (they are a wood mill and build custom doors as well as can order doors). Their pricing was way better than HD/Lowes on a french door for us.

Comment

Several years ago I replaced our front entry door with a new insulated steel one. The company is called Provia now, and honestly it's hard to top 20-gauge thick steel on a door, whereas most others are a little thinner. http://www.proviaproducts.com

Comment

Wife and I went to builders surplus today. They had a great selection of all kinds of stuff for the house. We ended up buying the 8 foot door we liked and were looking for. Problem now is finding someone qualified to stain and hang it for us. I have searched online and all I keep getting is garage door people.

Comment

staining and sealing is easy..hanging is another story. They did have prehung doors though in the same style if you wanted to do your own install.

Comment

That is going to be a tough one for someone to hang considering there isnt a jam or the whole for the knob. Are the hinges mortised out?

Comment

I may try staining it myself. Wasn't sure how hard it was.

At builders surplus they offer a service to have it cut and hinges installed. It's expensive though. Like $300 bucks

Comment

Easier to return it and get the prehung for $200 more

Comment

It's very easy to hang. Lay the doors side by side and mark the hinge and knob locations from old door to new. Chisel, drill, hang, done.

Comment

F paying $300 for mortising some hinges and buying a $30 door hole saw kit. That is seriously a couple hours of work.

That said, I'd buy pre hung. My grandfather never installed pre hung. Not sure why, but I've seen him install a serious amount of slab doors, I think he just liked doing it that.

Comment

Originally posted by dblack1 View Post
                        F paying $300 for mortising some hinges and buying a $30 door hole saw kit. That is seriously a couple hours of work.

That said, I'd buy pre hung. My grandfather never installed pre hung. Not sure why, but I've seen him install a serious amount of slab doors, I think he just liked doing it that.
                        Tell your grandfather to PM me...lol

Comment

Working...
                        X