garage stud spaceing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• garage stud spaceing ?

I'm trying to find the 2x4 studs in my garage wall so I can anchor something heavy to the wall. I find a stud, do the old measure 16 or 24 inches out and no stud. Used a stud finder and nails, found 3 that "technically" should be 48 inches apart, but they are not.

1 set is 24 inches apart, next one over is 27 inches. WTF??? If I go to the corner where there is a cutout and the water heater is in there, it is about 32 inches to the first stud (same direction where the other 3 are marked).

Is there any fucking standard distance on these things?

I know I can mount one side (4 lag bolts) to a stud and use drywall anchors on the other side, but I purposely bought this specific one since it should line up with the wall studs and I can anchor both sides to 2x4's.

Should be 24" on center.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
      Should be 24" on center.
      Correct. The newer the house, the more likely it is to be built to code.
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I don't know WTF these builders did, if I start in the far corner of the garage (by the door) and come in, they are 24 inch centered. As I get closer to the cutout for the water heater (hot water heater for some of you) they are no longer 24 inches apart.

Then to top it off, I decide to mount 1 side in the studs and use the drywall anchors on the other side. Nope, the crap for drywall will either crumble, or the anchors never bite and the bolt just keeps turning so it never tightens. I did drill the hole large enough to have to hammer the anchors in, so I don't think I made it too large.

I may just end up buying some 2x6's and mount those to the wall horizontally, then some 2x4 attached to those 48 inches apart so I can mount this fucking thing...

I swear, just another thing to add to my list of shit that doesn't go right!

Comment

All of mine (and everything I've ever built) are on 16" centers. I don't want to buy any of your houses. LOL!

Comment

My house is the same way. Have to use a stud finder for every stud because I can't trust going off a measurement. Crackhead builders!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              All of mine (and everything I've ever built) are on 16" centers. I don't want to buy any of your houses. LOL!
              no kidding! We were talking about when it's time to move from here what to do. I'm thinking have you build our next one.

Comment

Code allows for 24" o.c. Most houses build at 16" o.c. though. The random spacing the OP is experiencing makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by juiceweezl View Post
                  Code allows for 24" o.c. Most houses build at 16" o.c. though. The random spacing the OP is experiencing makes absolutely no sense.
                  I'm pretty familiar with the codes.

Comment

I always thought you could use 24" o.c. for non load bearing walls, but 16" o.c. for load bearing. That said, I have a non load bearing interior wall that is built like YS stated. Start from an inside corner, and it's 16" to the first stud, 24" to the next one, and almost 30" to the one after that, then they go back to 16" for the rest of the run.

Comment

I'm pretty familiar with the codes.
                      Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
                      I always thought you could use 24" o.c. for non load bearing walls, but 16" o.c. for load bearing. That said, I have a non load bearing interior wall that is built like YS stated. Start from an inside corner, and it's 16" to the first stud, 24" to the next one, and almost 30" to the one after that, then they go back to 16" for the rest of the run.
                      Follow this link and scroll down about 3/4 of the page until you get to

Table R602.3(5) Size, Height and Spacing of Wood Studs

You'll see where the laterally unsupported height limit is 10' and the spacing for supporting a roof only is max. 24" with 2X4. If it's supporting a story above and a roof, the max spacing is 16" with 2X4 or 24" for 2X6.

Nonbearing walls have a varying height limit based on the framing member (2X4 or 2X6) and can be spaced up to 24" o.c. max.

That should put this one to rest as far as code goes.

Comment

What ???? Measure studs for frameing ???? Its the lenght of your hammer, put a stud. Split the gap on the last one.

"Get your ass swingin that hammer ' BOY!!!"

That's how I was told to frame.

Comment

mine are all over the map too...16", 24" no habla.
                          Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
                          I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

Ifit is done right they will all be on 16" centers. All studs put up with a level too. How did yhey ever hang the drywall or paneling ? Could be that a lot of the framers now can't read a tape measure, much less know what a square and chalk line is.

Comment

mine looks like they went from one side of the line to the other....randomly...
                              Originally posted by Sgt Beavis
                              I don't always like lowered trucks, but when I do, it's because they really kick ass..

Comment

Working...
                              X