do i need a plumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do i need a plumber?

had a pipe collapse at my house this week and really want to get it fixed tomorrow. I have case iron in the front yard and pvc under the house. house is a pier and beam home with the pvc above ground and easily accessible. ive already dug to the cast iron pipe at the edge of the house now all i have to do is come up under the foundation. the pipe collapsed about just inside the foundation of the house. after talking with the plumber that brought the camera out he said they will just cut the bad part out and put pvc in its place connecting the two.

is connecting the pvc to the cast iron really a job for a plumber or can i go ahead and attach a coupling and be done with it?

the quote given was $800-1200 with me doing the digging. The price for parts at home depot is less than $50...

also two different plumbers say they can't do it until the middle of next week...

If you know where the damage is you can do yourself . Just 2 cast iron to pvc boots and be done.

Only trick to plumbing is vents,pea traps and shit flows downhill.
    One day at a time.

Comment

Use a cutoff wheel to cut the cast iron. Quickest
      One day at a time.

Comment

would a cutoff wheel be quicker than a snap cutter? assuming i can find a snap cutter somewhere. ive only got a saw zaw right now that i was going to try to use.

Comment

Cheap ass! Go to harbor freight and get one for probably less then 20.00.

Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...s-buffers.html
            ive never done anything to cast iron so i dont know what i need! old man at home depot said to use a special blade on my saw zaw.
            Last edited by jewozzy; 12-05-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

It will take time to cut with said blade. I usually just use a grinder with cutoff wheels. Whatever floats ya boat!
              One day at a time.

Comment

I want whatever is quickest and easiest...

Comment

Originally posted by onjacks View Post
                  It will take time to cut with said blade. I usually just use a grinder with cutoff wheels. Whatever floats ya boat!
                  Cut off wheel will cut it like butter.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by jewozzy View Post
                    ive never done anything to cast iron so i dont know what i need! old man at home depot said to use a special blade on my saw zaw.
                    did you punch him in his old mouth for calling it a "saw zaw"?
                    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Something you should be cautious of when dealing with cast pipe is the fact that it is not very forgiving. If it is already collapsing I would be willing to bet it is going to be fairly fragile to work with. Last year we had a cast pipe collapse at our house and after after about 8ft of crumbling pipe we were finally able to get to a piece that allowed us to use the collar. We plan on having to replace all of the cast pipe sooner rather than later

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                        did you punch him in his old mouth for calling it a "saw zaw"?
                        However you spell it... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by thomasblively View Post
                          Something you should be cautious of when dealing with cast pipe is the fact that it is not very forgiving. If it is already collapsing I would be willing to bet it is going to be fairly fragile to work with. Last year we had a cast pipe collapse at our house and after after about 8ft of crumbling pipe we were finally able to get to a piece that allowed us to use the collar. We plan on having to replace all of the cast pipe sooner rather than later
                          yeah this is basically just to buy some time til i can do the front yard in pvc. i actually was considering doing the entire thing just to be done with it but i was assuming i would have to pull a permit with the city in order to tie it into the city sewer line? and i was also assuming if it had to get a permit it would be required to have a licensed plumber do the work?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...s-buffers.html

Now Jason, that is the pot calling the kettle black right there! lol
                            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Working...
                            X