Master Bath remodel from start to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck_Finley View Post
    Ok since I am planning to attempt to tackle something similar next year (which may end up with me hiring someone anyway), one thing I wanted to do to my shower is remove the curb. I noticed yours is probably 6" inches high more or less. Before you put the curb in, was your floor completely level with the shower pan? If you didn't have a curb would it have still drained properly?

One thing I'd like to try and do during my remodel is try for a curbless shower, but the leveling I know will have to be just right. Have you done this type of remodeling before? Any recommendations on books or videos to watch?
    Ceramic tile, marble, slate and travertine advice - free and friendly from the folks at Tile Your World/John Bridge Forums

Comment

Ok since I am planning to attempt to tackle something similar next year (which may end up with me hiring someone anyway), one thing I wanted to do to my shower is remove the curb. I noticed yours is probably 6" inches high more or less. Before you put the curb in, was your floor completely level with the shower pan? If you didn't have a curb would it have still drained properly?

One thing I'd like to try and do during my remodel is try for a curbless shower, but the leveling I know will have to be just right. Have you done this type of remodeling before? Any recommendations on books or videos to watch?
      like above, search the john bridge forum. Tons of tiling advice. A curbless shower will need to have the floor recessed. You need a 1/4" per foot drop towards the drain. Even with a linear drain at the door, you will need pitch. Having a concrete foundation will kill the costs of curbless

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        like above, search the john bridge forum. Tons of tiling advice. A curbless shower will need to have the floor recessed. You need a 1/4" per foot drop towards the drain. Even with a linear drain at the door, you will need pitch. Having a concrete foundation will kill the costs of curbless
        This, this is why we went with a curb. Lots of either cutting or grinding and recessing work to make curbless work. Our curb is 5 inches. Works well!

Comment

Yep, I have a concrete slab so I have no idea if the cost would skyrocket because of it. At the very least, minimal curb is preferable. Why not just tile right over the shower pan to minimize curb? Oh well I'll ask questions on that linked forum. Thanks

Comment

Yep, I have a concrete slab so I have no idea if the cost would skyrocket because of it. At the very least, minimal curb is preferable. Why not just tile right over the shower pan to minimize curb? Oh well I'll ask questions on that linked forum. Thanks
            You always need a pitch to drain which is done with a morter bed over the copper pan. You need 1/4" per foot sloping away from the drain. So theoretically a 4' wide shower with with the drain in the middle needs .5" of pitch. Then you need a curb to hold the water in. Another inch would be enough. When I did my parents shower, I used some pavers that were about 1 3/4" thick for a 5' or so wide shower.

Comment

Time to start the trim work!

Comment

finishing touches!

Comment

Looks really good.

I would be concerned with water ending up on the bathroom floor with the shower. Maybe it is just the angle of the pic.

Comment

looks awesome? does the floor get wet? i might go one more row of the glass blocks if so.

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

We actually had been using the shower without the wall, and just beside the blocks were the wet parts. Looks like just a few drops will actually make it beyond the wall which is nothing. You really do not splash as much as you would think, being a rain shower helps that i am sure and also that the handheld is aimed toward the back side of the tub.

Comment

Here is finished bathroom. We love it! 99% finished anyway! haha

Try to get finished pics with mirrors and all tonight! I am forgetful! We have been using this place for 2 months now! LOOOVE it!

Comment

i'd like to come over and take a crap unless you all JC and stuff.

god bless.
                          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                          X