Trusting Contractors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trusting Contractors

Ok I may be paraniod or maybe it's just that I don't trust anyone when it comes to money, but let me run this by you guys. I'm getting wood floors installed in my house and I got 3 different estimates. I actually decided to go with the highest bid because the company has been in business over 100 years and they offer a lifetime warranty on the install. Where everyone else only offers a 1 year warranty and you don't know if they will be in business this time next month.

When we drew up the contract I put that the flooring must be installed between Sept. 10 and the 15th. I have vacation that week and it's hard as hell for me to get off so it was a do or die situation. I was up front with the salesman and said if you can't do it then no sweat I'll just go with someone that can. Of course he said oh yeah no problem until I wrote that on the contract. He claimed the owner doesn't like dates on the contract and this and that. Once again I told him if you want my money it's that week or nothing at all. He just said what ever and we did the deal. I paid half up front and put it on my credit card. I told him the reason I was doing this is because if they tried to jerk me around and didn't put the floor in that week I'll have my credit card company reverse the charge.

Some things came up this week and I swaped a week of vacation I had planned in Nov for next week to help out a fellow coworker. I still have Sept 10th thru the 15th off. So I called the company up and just threw it out there that if they had an opening next week lets go ahead and put the floors in. They said they had Mon and Tuesday open and they'd install them next week. The very next day I get a phone call from their scheduling guy and he says his wood guy is running behind on a job this week and he wanted to push my floor back to Tue. and Wed. I said no problem. This evening I get a call from the salesman and he wanted to come to my house asap. He said the owner went nuts when he saw my contract with the dates on it and he wants to rewrite it without any dates. Things that make you go hmmm.

I asked the salesman if they've ordered my floor yet and he claimed everything was already sitting in their warehouse. I told him to save his gas and I'll swing by there tomorrow since I have to drop some paint off for the baseboards so they can prepaint them. I've told this guy several times that I refuse to get burned and my credit card company already said they'd reverse the charge if I ask them. Anyways what would you guys do. Would you give them the benefit of the doubt and beleive they could install the floors as promised and rewrite the contract? I think at the very least I'll ask to see the flooring in the warehouse tomorrow to see if they are being honest about that.

I wouldn't rewrite shit. They already cancelled once because of some bullshit reason after they said they could get it done.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

hell to the no !
      Vortex rear stand $75
      8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
      My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
      but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
      11 4 door
      13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

You do not rewrite a Damn thing. All things continue per the contract.

Comment

Yeah, screw that. You already have it in writing. If they don't like it, take your choooooo$$$$$$ choooooo$$$$$$$ elsewhere.

Comment

No need to re-write it. In my opinion, the owner/salesman know what is up and if they can't get the materials in time - they can simply cancel the order, refund your money and notify you. No real risk on their part and there is plenty of time to plan out labor.

There is no upside to you doing a different contract.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

IMO treat it like you did the first time. You wouldn't have given them the business without the dates on the contract the first time, right? Tell them the same still applies. I wouldn't change it, if they intend to keep their word it shouldn't bother them that it is in the contract.

I'm curious if anybody knows from a contractor's point of view, is there any legitimate reason why the date thing is a huge problem?
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post
                IMO treat it like you did the first time. You wouldn't have given them the business without the dates on the contract the first time, right? Tell them the same still applies. I wouldn't change it, if they intend to keep their word it shouldn't bother them that it is in the contract.

I'm curious if anybody knows from a contractor's point of view, is there any legitimate reason why the date thing is a huge problem?
                From a resource scheduling point of view it should be beneficial since it is so far out.

Only exception is if the saleman let those dates be committed in the middle of some huge job or something that all the resources are allocated. In which case, there are numerous ways to handle it - but redo'ing the contract is not one of them that would be considered "correct" in my book.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I went up there earlier to drop off the paint and I talked with the warehouse manager who also does all the scheduling. He was nice enough to show me the wood flooring and all the transition pieces. I'm glad he opened that box because one of them was broken in half and he said he'd order it right away. He claimed we are still on for Tuesday at 9am so we shall see.

After reading everyone's reply I'm not going to rewrite the contract. When I went up there I didn't see the salesman, but I'm sure he will be calling. I'm just going to tell him to get bent. If it's a problem and they want the contract redone after the flooring is installed I won't have a problem with it then. I plan on telling the salesman that if the owner of the company has any issues he can gladly call me and we will discuss it.

Comment

Originally posted by slow06 View Post

if a new customer with a 100k job wants his the same week......what would you do.........now i never give exact dates especially in a contract, with weather being a big factor in our work, it can push dates back weeks at a time pretty easy

Comment

Working...
                    X