No announcement yet.

Learn me everything you know on the home building process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes..doing it this way I eliminated the builders cost. but if you do it this way make sure your ducks are in a line. We had a few instances where something wasn't lined up and it was a headache to deal with...oh and make sure you get a reputable inspector, I can get you mine if you need...

Comment

Originally posted by wishitwasasvt View Post
      Yes..doing it this way I eliminated the builders cost. but if you do it this way make sure your ducks are in a line. We had a few instances where something wasn't lined up and it was a headache to deal with...oh and make sure you get a reputable inspector, I can get you mine if you need...
      I just dont see $110k in builders costs on a $350k house.

Comment

Never said the builders cut was $110k. The lowest bid we received from a custom home builder was $350k. we built it for $240k thus saving $110k by doing it without a home builder. $35-55k of that $110k would have been the builders cut if I understood right, leaving another $55-75k out on the table for other contractors/expenses...is that correct?
        Last edited by wishitwasasvt; 08-14-2012, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I know very little about this .

So a home builder is a guy that just sort of organizes all the various contractors for you ?

For some reason i was alwasy thinking that a home builder was the contractor or something . Liek he knew how to build the whole house and just had his hired hands helping him . guess i was wrong

Comment

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post

So a home builder is a guy that just sort of organizes all the various contractors for you ?

For some reason i was alwasy thinking that a home builder was the contractor or something . Liek he knew how to build the whole house and just had his hired hands helping him . guess i was wrong
            can be both. Their overall job is to organize all the contractors to do their jobs and oversee their work. Sometimes the builder will have his own guys who may do part of the work and he gets an extra cut by offering some of the work himself. Builders often use the same subcontractors over and again so he has some accountability of the work and a better idea on proper pricing. A person who has never built before will get overcharged for many things. Also, there is a schedule to follow or you end up carrying a construction loan longer than you want and pay more for it.

Comment

Originally posted by waycooljr View Post

Everything 8mpg and things like: using an architect who's plans actually work, an engineer who can come up with a good slab, know where and how to pull permits (where required), and knowledge of materials being used in the house.

A few years ago, there was a shortage of drywall, and a massive supply of sheetrock came from China. It turns out that there a thousands upon thousands of houses that used the chinese-made sheetrock, only to find out that it contains some minerals that throw out a very funky sulphur-like odor that may or may not be unhealthy. I know people were moving out of their new homes because of it. So for a few bucks, some builders will take a gamble on the integrity of the entire house.

Comment

Working...
              X