Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with some wiring (Cat5 and Phone)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with some wiring (Cat5 and Phone)

Just moved in to a new house, trying to get our internet connected. AT&T U-Verse Internet, no landline phone service.

Our house is wired with Cat 5 in almost every room. That’s great, but I need to plug into a phone jack to get the signal to my wireless router. I started by plugging my router into the one remaining phone jack, no luck. After I went outside and looked at how everything is wired I am pretty sure the phone line was replaced by Ethernet and that phone line is useless. No big deal, just didn’t notice it before.

Then I tried cutting open one of the Ethernet cables at the wall and wiring different pairs into a phone jack, but im not getting signal there either. I resort to the internet, and I read that you can plug the phone cable into the Ethernet jack on the wall, but I don’t know if that will work because I think they switched pairs (see picture below).

This is my drawing of how things are currently wired up.

Wires leave the Telephone box as blue and white, the standard 1st line pair as I understand it. When they go into the Time Warner box (we do not have TW service at all) they "terminate" there and it looks like they leave as green and white.

I don't even know the point of the Time Warner box at this point, and maybe that is my first problem? Also, this has me thinking that green and white would be my live wires, but if they switched on the side of the house who knows how they wired the rest.

Does anybody here have any thoughts as to what the issue may be? I might head over to home depot this afternoon and see if I can get an Ethernet cable tester to see if I am getting any signal. My wife was on the phone while I was working on this last night and scheduled to have a guy come out Friday, but I would like to get this done myself, hopefully before then.

Thanks for any help you guys have.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

pics of the backs of your phone/data wall plates and all parts involved would be better than drawings. Snap some pics.

I can say that if you're needing network, you'll need all pairs to be terminated.

Good info here: http://www.phonegeeks.com/56vs56whshyo.html

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
      pics of the backs of your phone/data wall plates and all parts involved would be better than drawings. Snap some pics.

I can say that if you're needing network, you'll need all pairs to be terminated.

Good info here: http://www.phonegeeks.com/56vs56whshyo.html
      Yeah I snapped a few pictures last night of the outside stuff but I left the camera at home (hence the drawing). I'll take some more tonight of the inside stuff.

That wiring change at the Time Warner box is a problem though, isn't it? To solve this could I just bypass the connections in the Time Warner box and connect the blue/white strand from (blue line in the picture) directly to the blue/white strand (from the green line in picture). Assuming no pairs are crossed in the attic this should be fine, correct? May not fix the issue, but it would make sure the pairs are connected in a more standard way.

When you say all pairs need to be terminated where are you talking about? You mean inside at each plug, not at the box outside, correct? I was under the impression that all I needed was 1 pair (preferably blue/white) connected to the telephone box.

I'm going to use wireless signal right now but I may go wired later on down the line since it is available.

EDIT: About that link. Am I understanding it right that if my Ethernet is wired like 568B that my phone jack should be able to plug directly in and still work? It looks like the pairs match up correctly that way if they are wired correctly.

Also in the first post where I am explaining the drawing I might not be very clear and I don't know the terminology, so bear with me. All pairs come and go from each box, but the blue/white wires are the only ones connected to "screw connectors" in the telephone box, and the only ones connected to the bottom "screw connectors" in the TW box. Then green and white are connected to the "screw connectors" in the TW box and leave for the house (all other pairs are there, they just aren't connected to anything).

Thanks for the help, I'll get pics up tonight.
      Last edited by slow06; 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM.
      "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

Comment

So I did some wire tracing last night and it turns out that the line coming from my phone box doesn't ever connect to the Cat5 run in my house, it connects to 1 phone jack that is in my bedroom. (Does this seem odd?)

Plugged it in in the bedroom and got further with the setup that we had before. The broadband light on the modem is blinking red, then solid red, then solid green, then back again. AT&T said this was a modem issue, that they needed to configure the box.

I took a picture of the Time Warner box last night and I am going to post it up when I can find an SD card reader, I am hoping somebody can explain to me what exactly it is.

Other than the Cat5 not being connected to anything I think my wiring is good to go at this point, thanks for the help.

Comment

LOL

If you don't get it working, let me know.

Comment

just pm me your ban number and ill get a tech out for you
            03 cobra

Comment

Had a tech out tonight, got it up and running, so that is good. I wasn't here, but he said it was a bad phone jack and just replaced it without talking to her about it. I hope they don't try to charge me $99 for that.

I have 1 question I was hoping somebody could explain. This is the "Time Warner" box I was talking about earlier. What exactly does this thing do?

The bottom pair comes from the telephone box. The next 2 pairs come from the power box, and the top pair goes to the phone jack that runs to my bedroom.

Wider view of the whole setup outside of my house (what i drew earlier):

Last edited by slow06; 07-21-2012, 12:45 AM.

Comment

You are using a time warner box simply as a splice box. The previous owners had TW cable service and also had a voip line thru them. TW dialtone comes directly out of their modem inside of the house and back feeds on the phone line. They hang that box and connect all of your inside wiring in it so all the jacks will still work.
                03 cobra

Comment

You need to disconnect all of the wiring outside and get the green cat 3 that your modem is running on and hook it directly into the att network interface. Right now every piece of wiring is hooked up and all the wires are getting the internet signal. This will slow your signal to the modem. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal_reflection ( I dont know why the internet tech left it that way). If you have home phone service disregard what I said.

If you have home phone service you need to have a splitter installed. The splitter does the same thing as disconnecting all the wires as stated above but you actually leave all the wires connected but run them thru a splitter box that lets the dial tone flow to the wires but stops the internet signal. It does the same thing as installing filters at every jack but does a better job at it.
                  03 cobra

Comment

Working...
                  X