Drill into concrete patio or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill into concrete patio or no?

So earlier this year, we had a stamped/stained patio done out back. We don't plan on being in this house but a couple more years so instead of sinking the money into building a cover, I bought a pretty nice gazebo from Lowes. This was back at the beginning of June.

I didn't want to drill into my new patio to bolt it down so I bought some large decorative concrete blocks and bolted it to that. A week and a half later, we had a freak storm blow through with 50-60 mph winds and it flew into the neighbors yard like a giant ass sail. It twisted itself all up but I talked Lowe's into exchanging it for me so now I have a new one on order.

I'm really at a loss on how I'm going to keep this thing from going airborne again the next time we have a bad storm blow through. Should I suck it up and drill into my new patio?

Drill the concrete. I'd sink 2 holes per leg. Leave the gazebo when you move

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
      Drill the concrete. I'd sink 2 holes per leg. Leave the gazebo when you move
      This. My parents went through 3 or 4 of those patio covers while I was in high school due to storms, but didn't want to drill into the patio for your same reasons. If you want it to stay, drill, but if not, you're going to lose the cover eventually.

Comment

As stated above, definitely drill it.

Comment

Colored morter will fill the holes later when you take it down. Drill some holes.
          Photobucket

Comment

Drill it.
            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
            86 SVO - Sold
            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

I'm in the same boat as original poster. Can u post up some pics if you decide to drill. Ive researched buying some "tent weights" and adding them to all corners. My wife does not want to drill into our new flagstone patio. But it is what it is. We bought a 10 x10 gazeebo from home depot.
              Last edited by 4.6coupe; 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM.
              ./ ____ _ _\.
              (]]]_ o _[[[)
              \o_FORD_o/
              |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Installing spread anchors into the concrete is the fix right?! Drill, add anchors, and hammer in to spread and lock into place?!
                ./ ____ _ _\.
                (]]]_ o _[[[)
                \o_FORD_o/
                |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
                  I'm really at a loss on how I'm going to keep this thing from going airborne again the next time we have a bad storm blow through. Should I suck it up and drill into my new patio?
                  Just drill it in. That would be something I'd look at if thinking about buying your home and if I saw some rigged up installation - it would raise red flags and I'd have to wonder if that's how everything was done in the house.

Plus, their buyer's home inspector may find and point it out too. If either the buyer and/or inspector figured it out - you'd probably end up anchoring it to the concrete anyway.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by 4.6coupe View Post
                    Installing spread anchors into the concrete is the fix right?! Drill, add anchors, and hammer in to spread and lock into place?!
                    Thats it...pretty simple

Comment

Working...
                    X