Critique my lawn plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critique my lawn plans

It's Bermuda grass that we primarily deal with and at my house there are farms and other things around. I realize the yard will never be 100% weed free and I don't care about that. It's 1.5 acres, but initially I'm only going to be screwing with 1 acre.

I've been doing some reading and think I have a plan and wanted some input

Oct/Nov - Seed and apply weed and feed with something like this...

Dec/Jan - "preemergence" Whatever that is, have not had a chance to read and understand it for sure and what product to use for it.

Feb - Seed and fertilize

Mar/Apr - Weed and feed

I'm using my sprayer for anything but seeding of course. I may use a spreader if windy, but generally that's the game plan. Seem logical or is it all f'ed up?

We want to reduce weeds since we have to mow weekly because they sprout up so quickly. The granular version of Scott's weed and feed did not even make a dent in them - so I'm hoping the liquid soaks in better...etc.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

I switched from Scotts to Vigoro and it killed every weed I had and my grass is golfcourse quality now. if you can, spray Miracle Grow through the hose attachment once the Bermuda has set in. I do this a few times/year and it helps. good luck.

Comment

what seed are you putting down, winter rye in oct/nov ??
      you cant apply a weed and feed in conjunction with seeding, it will kill new seedlings
      most of the plan will come when we know if you are seeding winter grass or ??
      usually like to have 6 mowings with grass growing strong before applying any type of weed control

Comment

Originally posted by zemog View Post
        what seed are you putting down, winter rye in oct/nov ??
        you cant apply a weed and feed in conjunction with seeding, it will kill new seedlings
        most of the plan will come when we know if you are seeding winter grass or ??
        usually like to have 6 mowings with grass growing strong before applying any type of weed control
        Crap. Okay, I don't even know what winter rye is to be honest. I'm a complete dumb ass on this stuff and am just trying to figure it out.

I had thought the thought process was that you seeded whatever grass you used (Bermuda - I thought was the more resilient one) in the fall to allow it time to settle in..etc...etc

I can't answer your question since I'm not sure what you're asking. I won't have time to research it this morning, but will look it up and come back with what I guess to be a good answer.

Comment

you can put down bermuda anytime during the growing season, the ideal time is late april-may....once the hot hot temps hit if you can keep it wet (not drenched) it will be fine also, only use a starter fertilizer when you seed, 18-24-12 / 12-24-14 ect..
          do not use any pre emergence or weed control of anykind till grass is grown in and been mowed for 6weeks,, if doing before winter just make sure to hold off till next pre emergence is due in jan.. if it were me,......getting the grass established is much more important at this stage than a few weeds

Comment

I concur 100% with your last sentence, was just thinking had to get rid of weeds prior to grass growing properly.

Between the prior post and a couple of other things, I do have a few things to research. It does seem like you're encouraging fertilizer and seed at this point primarily though with the specific type of fert.

Comment

Working...
            X