St. Augustine is a LIGHT lime green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Augustine is a LIGHT lime green

I had bermuda in my yard for years. Then last year I put down some st. augustine in a few shaded areas and it has almost taken over everywhere (im glad, i like it better)...

however this year it started out looking pretty nice, iv fertilized and then all a sudden about a week ago it has slowly lightened in color. im not sure this picture really shows it off very well, but its really light lime green color.

when i look closely at the blades, i do not see any bug bites or mold or anything, just light green blades... almost a yellow color.

I thought at first maybe i was watering too much, so i cut back. I put down some ironite over the weekend but nothing has really changed yet (only been 2 days). But in the past month I have put down a high nitrogen fertilizer (no weed killer) and ironite.

any ideas what could be going on?

after seeing the picture on here, I think its even lighter than the picture appears.

Comment

Wrong fertilizer? Or too much?
      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
      86 SVO - Sold
      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

not enough water? Thats what my st augustine does without water.

Comment

it was the right kind...

and not enough? i was thinking maybe too much? i now water twice a week for about 20 mins a zone.

Comment

I would have thought not enough water as well or high temps.
            Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

it does basically get full sun all day long.

Comment

i went to Ace and bought a big bag of greensand, gonna put it down and see what happens. iv read alot of good things about this stuff.

Comment

What time are you watering?
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Greensand? Never heard of it...
                    Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

I water early in the morning, like 3-4am.
                      now im not sure if this matters, but this grass is on a decent slope. my yard/house sits up a little higher than the guy behind me. and we do not have a retaining wall, my yard is flat the first 75% and then the bottom part basically drops about 1-2 feet down pretty quickly. Could it be that Im watering enough, but the water isnt soaking down because its rolling down the hill before it can soak? It seems like this light color is mainly on the "slope" areas... but then again, this is where most the st. augustine has taken over. Its not really present in my flat area much yet...

and here is greensand... from what i read, it has alot more iron than ironite and slower release, so it lasts longer. this isnt the exact same package, but same stuff I got..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Greensand-Iron-Garden-Organic-Fertilizer/dp/B00025O4TG[/ame]

Comment

My grass was looking a little like that on a few edges. I put down some Scotts Bonus S and double the normal amount on the edges. I spent about 20 minutes watering the yard by hand every other day for a week and everything greened up nicely. I spend about 30-45 minutes once a week, sometimes every other week watering by hand and the yard is growing like a motherfucker now.
                        "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

do a soil test and see what your PH is, usually not a problem with most but if what you've tried/trying isnt working, then if your ph is on the high side the nutrients you're putting down will be tied up in the soil and not get to the plant, just the nitrogen will absorb some, but not the other nutrients needed, i have to spray where i am for this reason

Comment

Working...
                          X