No announcement yet.

Mowing a big yard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a JD with a 48" deck. I'd like to find something with a 60" deck.

I am seriously considering this.

Its gets hot though, but I think I found a way to cool down.

I would prefer to ride on a more comfortable seat...

I find ways to keep from getting bored...

Some great father-son bonding time too...

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
      Ultimately, I've decided to get a tractor instead of a ZTR. I want to be able to use some of the accessories available with tractors. Pricing is also an issue.
      I don't think this is a bad choice really.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Well, I'm still shopping around. I went to the John Deere dealer in Denton wanting to check out a D120 or D130 with the intent to order if I can get a decent deal. Unfortunately they only had a D100. The sales guy immediately started pushing me towards a Snapper mower that was quite a bit more pricey than what I would be looking at on a D130. He said they only carry the D100 and they only had one in stock (the showroom model)... I took a Snapper brochure out with me but I highly doubt I'll be back..

I guess I'll check the dealer in Grapevine this week. I've got to pull the trigger shortly. The seller of our new house doesn't appear to give a damn about mowing his yard, now that it is sold. I also saw a JD X300 (bigger mower with a Kawasaki engine) on Craigslist that has lower hours and two years left on the warranty. I think I'll give that guy a call. It's a bit more than I want to spend but it's also a highly recommended mower.

Comment

FYI - John Deere sets the pricing for all the D-series at Lowe's and Home Depot so there is no price advantage by going to the JD dealer. Obviously the dealer will know the product way better and they do offer some decent financing incentives so I'd still recommend the dealer if you have the option. But if you just want to see one of the D-Series, you might check out Lowes/HD.

I've mowed several times with my new D130 and like it a lot. Runs great and cuts nicely. Sure beats the shit out of a push mower in 100 deg heat!
          - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
          1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

One thing I learned yesterday too, is to investigate the accessories you want for the various tractors.

I wanted a bagger for mine and figured 2-300 dollars, done. They are 500+ dollars, not including shipping. They have horrible reviews. 3rd party higher end baggers are much more expensive as well.

Stupid wanting that much for a damned bagger.
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by red95gts View Post
              FYI - John Deere sets the pricing for all the D-series at Lowe's and Home Depot so there is no price advantage by going to the JD dealer. Obviously the dealer will know the product way better and they do offer some decent financing incentives so I'd still recommend the dealer if you have the option. But if you just want to see one of the D-Series, you might check out Lowes/HD.

I've mowed several times with my new D130 and like it a lot. Runs great and cuts nicely. Sure beats the shit out of a push mower in 100 deg heat!
              Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              One thing I learned yesterday too, is to investigate the accessories you want for the various tractors.

I wanted a bagger for mine and figured 2-300 dollars, done. They are 500+ dollars, not including shipping. They have horrible reviews. 3rd party higher end baggers are much more expensive as well.

Stupid wanting that much for a damned bagger.
              The main reason I would go to a John Deere dealer is for service. You can't get your JD fixed at a big box store. I've heard of some dealers that won't fix the mower if you bought from a big box. Sounds stupid, but that's what I've heard...

As for accessories, I'm going to mulch, so I won't need a bagger. However I will need a yard sweeper for leaves. I'm going to have a shitload of leaves in this yard..

Comment

I have 3/4 of an acre and with a 46" deck mower it takes about an hour. That's also mowing certain spots with a push mower and weed eating. My lot doesn't have any real landscaping on it therefore mowing is pretty straight forward. It really depends on how much time you want to spend on it. My neighbor has an acre and he spends about 4 hours on his just puttering around.

Comment

Well, I ended up buying a Toro Timecutter SS ZTR. I just got finished mowing the entire acre. It took about an hour and a half. I could have done it faster but this was my first time using a ZTR and there was a bit of a learning curve for me t first. I also had to go slow of for the overgrown grass since I've got the mowers setup for mulching.

I got the Toro for several reasons. For one, it was an affordable ZTR at just under $3000 wi the mulching kit added. Then there is the fact that one of my buddies works at Lowery Motor Service in Lewisville. No discount, but I know I'll get good service from him.

As I said, there is a bit of a learning curve on tis thing. The steering controls are very sensitive. I think the left control stick pushes the mower further left than than does the right stick fr its side, so I'll get that adjusted. All in all, I dig it. Next fall, I'll get a yard sweeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                    Well, I ended up buying a Toro Timecutter SS ZTR. I just got finished mowing the entire acre. It took about an hour and a half. I could have done it faster but this was my first time using a ZTR and there was a bit of a learning curve for me t first. I also had to go slow of for the overgrown grass since I've got the mowers setup for mulching.

I got the Toro for several reasons. For one, it was an affordable ZTR at just under $3000 wi the mulching kit added. Then there is the fact that one of my buddies works at Lowery Motor Service in Lewisville. No discount, but I know I'll get good service from him.

As I said, there is a bit of a learning curve on tis thing. The steering controls are very sensitive. I think the left control stick pushes the mower further left than than does the right stick fr its side, so I'll get that adjusted. All in all, I dig it. Next fall, I'll get a yard sweeper.
                    Pretty much my experience with my purchase. First time ZTR owner and I have cut my time down to an hour from an hour and a half.
                    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                    X