Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
    Yes, most do - they are not that cheap.

Are there any hills on you land? A lot of ZTRs become close to useless on hill. I know everyone will chime in with how great their ZTRs are and all that, but it's something you need to keep in mind.

They do save a ton of time. We can just mow 1.5 acres in an hour and half to 2 hours. That's not a clean, open plot of land. Dodging drainage "creek" and a whole lot of other stuff. I also pull a trailer no problem, my sprayer with boom...etc.

I got mine for about half price so I'm not sad to have it. (Slightly used from prior homeowner) Just not sure I agree with their cost. I'd not buy what I have - which is Cub Cadet ZTR (50 something inch deck)

There is a little bit of a slope in the back yard from the back wall of the house to the open field (which is perfectly flat). The front yard is flat but has multiple beds, which is why a ZTR makes a bit more sense.

I'm thinking Cub Cadet too, but I might try to find a used SCAG.

Comment

I've been watching Craigslist in hopes of finding a used ZTR mower and there's virtually nothing for under $1500. The few that I did find the $1200 range looked like they had been used commercially or not taken care of at all. I decided that a lawn tractor with a 2yr warranty for about the same amount of money just made more sense.

Also keep in mind that most ZTR mowers have a 250lb max trailer capacity. Tractors typically rate the max as "not to exceed the weight of the mower + rider", so ~750lbs. Just food for thought if you plan on doing gardening projects, moving fill dirt around, or doing things other than mowing.
      - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
      1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

I have just over an acre and it takes me about 1 hour to cut with a regular riding Mower 48" cut John Deere. I used a friends Cub Cadet zero turn and did it in prob 40 minutes one time.
        sigpic

Comment

To add a little.

1. A slope the zero turn will do fine, but the second you get into a situation where your body feels like it may slip and your bracing - the rear tires spin. When that happens you can't get it to go where you want. I did research on this and discovered that a lot of folks just put on different tires that helps quite a bit.

2. red95gts is correct that they probably can't haul what a normal tractor could haul. Plus, you can't really weight the front at all. Although I think it would take quite a bit to tip. The most I hauled is 5 or 6 80lbs quickrete bags. I got an old busted up trailer - but the tractor hauled it without a problem. Just from the front yard to the back yard, going slow (again, worried about the trailer). However, the place on the Cub Cadets where you mount the hitch - is not exactly thick steel. It's not terribly weak, but I could see that giving out first. It would suck too cause then you'd not really have a good place to mount it.

I scored mine for 1500 with 80 hours on it. So I was happy with that. I would think long and hard before dropping 3K + on one. Yes, you're mowing time probably will be increased - but a standard tractor will be more versatile overall I think. Just get a big cutting deck. Plus, you're pretty much shit out of luck if it breaks down I think. Looking at it - the engine is one thing but trying to even think about the drivetrain on a ZTR blows my mind.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Mowing is just the beginning with my yard. Weed-eating takes an hour, and I've got curbs and sidewalks to edge. It comes out to 1500+ feet of edging. Damn near 1/3 of a mile.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
              Mowing is just the beginning with my yard. Weed-eating takes an hour, and I've got curbs and sidewalks to edge. It comes out to 1500+ feet of edging. Damn near 1/3 of a mile.
              You should have had a ton of boys to keep mowing it for you. I know thats how my stepdad felt about me. I did 4 acres every week for 4 years in HS. It took me 4 hours at least to do the mowing and weed eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                There is a little bit of a slope in the back yard from the back wall of the house to the open field (which is perfectly flat). The front yard is flat but has multiple beds, which is why a ZTR makes a bit more sense.

I'm thinking Cub Cadet too, but I might try to find a used SCAG.
                Did you guys end up getting your bid accepted?

Just finished with my mowing today and want to make sure my misery is shared.

Hour twenty of mowing and another twenty just cleaning shit up.
                Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                  My 1.4 takes me about an hour on my zero turn. It also tows just fine.

Expect high water bills to keep up with a nice bit of grass. Ours is about $220 a month to water 3 times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                  That is insane (the water cost).

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    That is insane (the water cost).
                    The alternative is to not water it and watch it die. As soon as I can get flush again we are going to look into a well for irrigation only.

I either pay the price at the meter or pay the price looking like shit to my neighbors.

It is one of those expenses that you don't really factor until you have had to maintain a yard this big. I spend over two grand a year just on fert and seed just trying to claim this yard back right now.

Comment

it takes me 3hrs to do my yard.I have 3 different areas. The front is an acre, back is almost a third and kids area is 48 by 80 which we use a reel mower. We have 46" rider 22"pusher and reel. Weedeating is the worst. Have a hard time keeping poison ivy/oak at bay.
                      2009 Mustang GT
                      1972 Country Squire

Comment

The alternative is to not water it and watch it die. As soon as I can get flush again we are going to look into a well for irrigation only.

I either pay the price at the meter or pay the price looking like shit to my neighbors.

It is one of those expenses that you don't really factor until you have had to maintain a yard this big. I spend over two grand a year just on fert and seed just trying to claim this yard back right now.
                        I had 23 acres that I maintained 5 of as a "yard" but don't think our water ever exceed $100.

A lot of people got in deep shit for not taking into account those "other" costs associated with home ownership. We walked away from a place in McKinney that was way under market because we found out electric was around $750/month.

Comment

I had 23 acres that I maintained 5 of as a "yard" but don't think our water ever exceed $100.

A lot of people got in deep shit for not taking into account those "other" costs associated with home ownership. We walked away from a place in McKinney that was way under market because we found out electric was around $750/month.
                          We have been lucky, our home is 13 years old and out electric this time of the year is around $110-120. Most if the year it is around $80 a month. But I have invested a lot into cutting this monthly expenses just like I want to cut the water buy using a private well.

Comment

Tie into your neighbors water line

Comment

Tie into your neighbors water line
                              Previous owner at my house had the op. to go half on our neighbor's well ($3,000) and passed as they put the house on the market. I could have bought this place with half my neighbors water.

Comment

Previous owner at my house had the op. to go half on our neighbor's well ($3,000) and passed as they put the house on the market. I could have bought this place with half my neighbors water.

When you go to get your well.. Check out Affordale Water Well... they did a great job at my parents house. Its $4k minimum and I believe that is to 150' then $20/ft after that. That includes full install with pump. We will have them do our wells on our property next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X