Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mowing a big yard.

Mornin' fellas..

So, the wife and I are about to put an offer on a house in Denton that resides on a 1 acre lot. I've got not problem buying a good lawn tractor to take care of this big bitch but I'm kinda wondering how long it will take me to mow the damn thing. Half of the lot is just open field. It is an easement for the power company so I can't build on it. Just wide open grass. The other half, with the house has a lot of landscaping.

So how long does it take to mow about 3/4ths of an acre? Also, what are your opinions on tractor mowers versus zero turning radius mowers. It seems that the ZTR mowers can't really do anything more than mow while the tractors can also tow and use multiple accessories. So I'm leaning towards a tractor..

Depends on how fast you want to go really. I would say its around an hour of mow time. The weed eating is what may kick your ass, and edging. So at least two hours for all of it.
    Last edited by mstng86; 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM.

Comment

My 1.4 takes me about an hour on my zero turn. It also tows just fine.

Expect high water bills to keep up with a nice bit of grass. Ours is about $220 a month to water 3 times a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
      Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

We had a 2.5 acre front yard as a kid. By the time I mowed , edged and weed eated it took 4 hours.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I have just under 3/4 acre and it took me 4 hours to mow and weed eat yesterday. That's with a Toro self-propelled push mower so it takes forever. Lol

Picked up a John Deere D130 tractor yesterday afternoon. Should be way faster next weekend.
          - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
          1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Get a zero turn over a tractor style.

Comment

It also depends on how bumpy or cracked your "field" part is, and mower deck width. I have a 1.5 acre lot and the mowing takes me about an hour and a half. I can knock out the front quickly, but the back takes forever due to cracks and bumps. I feel like Ace Venture bouncing around on that damn thing!
              "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
              http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
              Factory Five MK4 Cobra
              Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
              http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
              www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
              sigpic

Comment

Use a push reel, more exercise!
                Detailing by Dylan
                817-494-3396
                Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
                Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

I'm leaving my 1+ acre yard, and I won't miss keeping up with this big bastard.

Comment

However long it takes, just make sure you walk every bit of the field and get all the ricks and sticks up. Scrappy blades from debris will slow you down.

Anyone know of a decent place to buy a 5-6 foot finish mower pto driven? Will be getting my dads ole kubota tractor for my new property.

Comment

Seen this one on CL. I'd be a player on the smoker trailer project if he'd deal on both.

"If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Another quick question..

Do ZTR mowers have bagging capability for picking up leaves? I always mulch my grass but this fall is going to see a shit ton of leaves...

Comment

Yes some have that option. Gardenweb forums has big lawn mower and tractor sections that you can read up on

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                            Another quick question..

Do ZTR mowers have bagging capability for picking up leaves? I always mulch my grass but this fall is going to see a shit ton of leaves...
                            Yes, most do - they are not that cheap.

Are there any hills on you land? A lot of ZTRs become close to useless on hill. I know everyone will chime in with how great their ZTRs are and all that, but it's something you need to keep in mind.

They do save a ton of time. We can just mow 1.5 acres in an hour and half to 2 hours. That's not a clean, open plot of land. Dodging drainage "creek" and a whole lot of other stuff. I also pull a trailer no problem, my sprayer with boom...etc.

I got mine for about half price so I'm not sad to have it. (Slightly used from prior homeowner) Just not sure I agree with their cost. I'd not buy what I have - which is Cub Cadet ZTR (50 something inch deck)
                            Originally posted by MR EDD
                            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Dixie chopper advertises 2.5 acres per hour. Its a cool $8000

Comment

Working...
                              X