Power Lines and Tree Trimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Lines and Tree Trimming

Along my back property line (That borders with other people's property) there are power lines running along it. I have several pine trees that are starting to grow into it pretty heavily.

I was curious whose responsibility it is to trim those trees back from the power lines. Google shows many different stories and I ASSUME it would be the power company's job due to safety. However, I was checking in here to see if anyone knew for sure, or does it vary from city to city...etc...etc?
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

The utility companies have right of ways. They usually ask or put a notice on the door to warn you or give you a chance to protest, but I'll assure you, they can completely remove trees in their ROW no matter your opinion.

Also, most never have budget for this, so good luck. If you trim them yourself, be careful, not only of the power lines, but of the liability. If you cut a limb and it takes out any service, they can come after you.
    sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
    17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
    13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
    86 SVO - Sold
    '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
    01 TJ - new toy - Sold
    65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
      Also, most never have budget for this, so good luck. If you trim them yourself, be careful, not only of the power lines, but of the liability. If you cut a limb and it takes out any service, they can come after you.
      I'd rather not - I don't have the equipment to get up that high, with a chain saw. I can live with a power outage until they repair it (would affect a fair amount of homes), but do not want to be liable for it. Also, rather not pay for a tree trimming service - cause as you mentioned - even if the service breaks something it's game over. Plus, some of the trees are starting to take over transformers.

I will probably call them to give them a heads up and opportunity to be proactive. (Plus the opportunity to tell me it is all me.)

Comment

I'm an idiot. Googled did not work but going to GCEC's site was straight forward, called and they have a service ticket open.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
          I'm an idiot. Googled did not work but going to GCEC's site was straight forward, called and they have a service ticket open.
          Keep an eye on them if you can. I've watched them hack nice mature trees into stumps.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Would you like your reparations in 5.56mm or 7.62mm?

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
            Keep an eye on them if you can. I've watched them hack nice mature trees into stumps.
            Yeah, we're concerned about that - but it'll be the wife and not much we can do about it.

Comment

If they trim trees like oncor does here, you do not want them trimming your tree if you want it to look nice when they are down. They will literally just cut a giant L out of the side of the tree where the power lines are running.

For example lol

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                I have GCEC as well. They have always been great to deal with. Prices are a lot cheaper than TXU thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                  If they trim trees like oncor does here, you do not want them trimming your tree if you want it to look nice when they are down. They will literally just cut a giant L out of the side of the tree where the power lines are running.

For example lol
                  That tree is fucked. You wait till thd first big storm it will be in that living room. All the weight on one side and a huge flat spot for the wind to catch.
                  Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Yes this can be said negligence of the workers who are cutting this tree from one side.

Comment

Originally posted by Samhain View Post
                      This is true.
                      sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                      17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                      13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                      86 SVO - Sold
                      '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                      01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                      65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                      X