Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously!!! What kind of grass/weed is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously!!! What kind of grass/weed is this?

I have been fighting this stuff for 2 years now and its starting to get out of control. I have put down EVERY single over the counter stuff available at home depot/lowes I can find. Iv used that bayer crabgrass stuff, nutsedge, scotts turf builder with weed, numerous hose sprayer stuff, concentrated stuff... im not joking, almost every single product, I have used and this stuff will NOT die!!

it almost looks like a mini st. augustine grass, but its not. it starts in little clumps and is a light lime green color... some of them even have a little purple in it is seems?

anyway, anything short of tearing entire yard up and starting fresh, how can I get rid of this? I thought of spot treating with roundup or something, but that really wouldnt work as its all over now. It seems like when i fertilize and ironite my lawn, this stuff grows in more instead of my bermuda!!
    Last edited by 00bolt; 06-06-2012, 06:59 AM.

The only thing that will kill it is MSMA, however, it was banned by the EPA. My lawn has a bit of this popping up. I sprayed it with MSMA 2 weeks ago and it brown the rest of the grass, but it came back. Been out there pulling it all by hand lately.

Good luck
    Detailing by Dylan
    817-494-3396
    Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
    Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

i was afraid of that answer. i started to pull but its spread so much it would take forever. im thinking of just putting down some st. augustine sod and letting it take over. this stuff would be virtually invisible in st. augustine.

Comment

WeedolaRatSnake from Texas.
        Photobucket

Comment

You can find msma on criagslist. Aint cheap. Perhaps its still sold in mexico ?

Comment

i bought some cheap grass and weed killer from walmart that seemed to do the trick.
            .....bro....

Comment

i pulled a few up out of the ground to really get a good look, im thinking maybe it is crabgrass!! Im not paying $200 for MSMA on craigslist... anyone know any alternative to MSMA that actually works?
              Last edited by 00bolt; 11-15-2014, 09:24 PM.

Comment

i have the same thing (i'm thinking it's johnson grass), and i had to pull it up by the roots, which are incredibly deep, by the way! if you don't get every single part of the root, the damn stuff will grow back! i had a few spots grow back... that stuff is ridiculously hard to kill.

Comment

took these samples up to Lowes and guy there said he has a horticulture degree and its 100% crabgrass... then I went up to another local feed place and was talking and lady said she has some MSMA at home she never used and doesnt need so going to bring back up tomorrow and give to me!!! Cant wait to try this out!

Comment

so this is a little unbelievable, but I got the bottle of MSMA yesterday and got home, went to the garage to get my sprayer and looky what I found, a full bottle of MSMA I had bought a couple years ago before it was taken off the shelves... so I now have 2 full bottles.. WHOOHOOOO!!! applied it this morning, so hopefully this stuff will completely yellow and start to die, ill put down another dose next weekend and hopefully finally be rid of this crap!

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                      so this is a little unbelievable, but I got the bottle of MSMA yesterday and got home, went to the garage to get my sprayer and looky what I found, a full bottle of MSMA I had bought a couple years ago before it was taken off the shelves... so I now have 2 full bottles.. WHOOHOOOO!!! applied it this morning, so hopefully this stuff will completely yellow and start to die, ill put down another dose next weekend and hopefully finally be rid of this crap!
                      I'll take some for my crabgrass.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                        I'll take some for my crabgrass.
                        the cure for crab grass

fill hole with play sand and call it a day

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                          i pulled a few up out of the ground to really get a good look, im thinking maybe it is crabgrass!! Im not paying $200 for MSMA on craigslist... anyone know any alternative to MSMA that actually works?
                          You can spot kill it with round up or if you need to do the whole lawn, you can spray the lawn with round up at a 50% rate (not full strength) yes, it will yellow,BUT it works. A lot of ranchers will do that in hay pastures due to the lack of a good weed killer. I sprayed one of my pastures with Remedy . It;s expensive and you need a license. I like the results. I have another 5 acres I just bought that has a lot of weeds. I am going to do the 50% round up trick.
                          I wonder if Mexico is still selling msma...

Comment

hit up your city recycle centers where they drop off paint and such. I know in plano on saturday morning you can go up there and get the stuff people dropped off for free. I have gotten tons of MSA, dyizanon (sp) and other outlawed chemicals from there... for free. there is just usually a long line if your not there early
                            first class white trash

Comment

not so sure about doing the round up in the growing season, we do it when the bermuda is dormant but have never when grass is green......it MIGHT work, but why take the chance, and i dont believe you have to have a license for rememdy, its on the shelves at tractor supply

Comment

Working...
                              X