Shrubs Turning Yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrubs Turning Yellow

Keep in mind I live in a rent house, so most of this was done before I moved in.

There are some shrubs planted in a raised planter along the front of the house. There are 3 shrubs that look like they were planted first, and then some smaller ones that don't look to be as mature. One of the larger shrubs started turning yellow on me a few weeks ago. I thought it might be a lack of water, but now I'm thinking it must be something else as I water them regularly. It looks as though some of the other shrubs are starting to see the same yellowing.

Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

I don't recall the name of those, I have them as well. They are pretty hard to kill, and do well in Texas.

I'd start by digging into the side of one to see the quality of the soil used around the roots. If it looks like good soil (not clay or some other crap filler) it is possible you are over watering them. You might also have grub worms eating the root system, there is a pesticide for this. If your soil is crap, I'd just contact your property owner and let them know that whoever planted them didn't do a good job.
    Tera 4:1 + 4.88's = Slowest rig on here
    Baja-Bob.com

Comment

Grubs are very likely. I noticed quite a few of those when I was working on the flower bed in the center of the yard. I'll go have a look and see what I find.....

Comment

Another thing. I'm not sure how well this thing drains. I've noticed a time or two that water is pooling at the top of the "planter" after watering. In addition to that, I'm sure that it could use some fertilizer/soil amendments. I haven't done anything but water it since I moved in about a year ago. Any recommendations there? I assume I will need to pull the mulch out no matter how I go about amending the soil

Edit: Just pulled some of the mulch away and started digging, the soil is EXTREMELY wet. So, I'm guessing that I've over watered them. Any ideas on how I can improve the drainage of this planter? I'm not sure if there is a base or a back to it. I would hope that there is a back, as it is right up against the house. The front is brick and mortar.
        Last edited by black2002ls; 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

If the soil is extremely wet they are suffocating. Most plants breathe oxygen through the root system. The best bet for your setup is a masonry bit and drill to allow the water to escape through the bottom in several places. Hard to tell what to do from there. If you don't mind digging up a section between the shrubs you might get a better idea of what the planter looks like... if the bottom is concrete or bricked water will just collect. At that point I would just suggest a much less frequent watering schedule.
          Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I'm going to lay off of the water for a while and see about putting a couple of holes along the bottom

Comment

I don't have any updated pictures at the moment, but a big thank you to everyone who chimed in on this. I laid off of the water for a while and also drove some tree/shrub fertilizer stakes into the bed, as I'm pretty sure I managed to wash out all of the nutrients in the soil. I put one spike in each gap between the bushes. I also removed the yellow/dead branches of the center box wood, and am glad to report that they are all doing much better. The smaller boxwoods are starting to grow and fill out. One question I have, the center boxwood that turned yellow, will it fill back in? or will I be left with a hole? I've thought about taking some twine and pulling the lower limbs up to try and get them to grow and fill in the now empty area.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                I don't have any updated pictures at the moment, but a big thank you to everyone who chimed in on this. I laid off of the water for a while and also drove some tree/shrub fertilizer stakes into the bed, as I'm pretty sure I managed to wash out all of the nutrients in the soil. I put one spike in each gap between the bushes. I also removed the yellow/dead branches of the center box wood, and am glad to report that they are all doing much better. The smaller boxwoods are starting to grow and fill out. One question I have, the center boxwood that turned yellow, will it fill back in? or will I be left with a hole? I've thought about taking some twine and pulling the lower limbs up to try and get them to grow and fill in the now empty area.
                It will fill in, but it will take a long time. They are pretty slow growers.
                Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I've noticed that. I'm not sure when the smaller/younger shrubs were planted, but they have been slow to grow and fill out

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                    I've noticed that. I'm not sure when the smaller/younger shrubs were planted, but they have been slow to grow and fill out
                    I have those up front of my house and they havent grown for shit. thinking of removing them and planting some faster growing bushes but if i did that means i have to trim sooner and more often.

Comment

I think they are a pretty good plant... they hold up well in the arid climate of Texas. That being said, any plant that doesn't require a ton of water is going to focus more on storing energy than actually growing. The question is, do you want a plant you have to tend to frequently or one that can be forgotten about for long periods of time?
                      Baja-Bob.com

Comment

I personally prefer lower maintenance! I realize you were talking to Randy. These are perfect for their location. I've been in this house just over a year and I haven't trimmed them at all, though I do need to pick up some hedge clippers and square up the larger bushes.

one thing I've been wondering. Will trimming the tops help them fill out? I've got some tree/shrub things along the side of the house to give some privacy to the bedroom windows. They are growing more up than out, I would like them to fill out, it seems I remember hearing somewhere that if you prune the tops it will encourage them to fill out more.

Comment

Originally posted by BajaBob View Post
                          I think they are a pretty good plant... they hold up well in the arid climate of Texas. That being said, any plant that doesn't require a ton of water is going to focus more on storing energy than actually growing. The question is, do you want a plant you have to tend to frequently or one that can be forgotten about for long periods of time?
                          Yup, I concur. As i was typing out my response I then started thinking about all the trimming I'd have to do.... I'm good with them being there. lol

Comment

Working...
                          X