Need an Aerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Aerator

Does anyone have one like this I can borrow tomorrow for a few days?

Or does anyone know where to rent one? Homedepot does not rent them.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Just buy one and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
      Just buy one and be done with it.
      I may have to. They rent a walk behind but for the $50 rental (4hrs) and $125 deposit I would still have to walk this entire 1.35 acres. $179 is not looking that bad to own one now.

Comment

Home depot does rent them. I rented one from the Camp Wisdom location two weeks ago. Did the whole acre lot. I dont think you can buy the type machines they rent for that kind of cash. Get ready for a workout.
        Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by miketyler View Post
          Home depot does rent them. I rented one from the Camp Wisdom location two weeks ago. Did the whole acre lot. I dont think you can buy the type machines they rent for that kind of cash. Get ready for a workout.
          I'm guessing you didn't click the link. He is wanting the one you pull behind a riding mower, not one that you walk with.

Comment

Got me there, I ignored it. Pull behind is definitely the way to go if you have a lot of area to cover. I have seen that type dirt cheap on CL.
            Handyman, classic car and antique jukebox collector/restorer, and all around good guy.

sigpic

Comment

Well yesterday I bought the one I posted in the OP. Put it together today and used it. Already broke one of the 6 plates that are attached to the center shaft. The plate holds the spikes and was only welded on two sides of the shaft. Not a big deal but I just need to pull it apart and get it tacked back on.

Worked alright but I needed 200 pounds on the shelf to get good penetration in some areas of my yard. This is really something you want to use after a good rain and the yard has semi dried out.

Does anyone know the drawbacks to frequent use of an aerator on the yard?

Comment

This is really something you want to use after a good rain and the yard has semi dried out.
                That is key indeed. You want the ground semi-soft but not muddy or the powered units tear up your yard. Too dry and the tines walk across the surface. I dont know that there is a down side to that. I have aerated my lot twice now (once each season) and am seeing benefits already.

The powered unit put pretty deep holes in the ground, almost a perfect fit for my first finger. Because our area has the black gummy crap for soil, aeration allows moisture and nutrients 2-3 inches below the surface that might not ever see this.

sigpic

Comment

I see no downside to it and read quite a bit. Does not make me an expert though.

The reason I have not run out and bought one though - is storage. Trying to figure out a place to hang it or something so it's not taking up a bunch of space. Don't want to leave it outside either.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

i rented one last weekend from Ace by my house (in mansfield), they only charge $8/hour

EDIT - opps sorry, i was referring to a gas powered push one, not a pull behind tractor one.

Comment

Just hire a mexican with a piece of rebar, $.025 per hole.

Comment

Ace Hardware has the best rentals around IMO.

I rented one last year for a full 8 or 24hours for $25, I don't recall for how long though. I know it was longer and cheaper than Home Depot/Lowes. IIRC Home Depot wanted $50-$60 for 8 hours and even more for 24 hours.

I went halvsies with with a neighbor and finished both yards in an hour or two,
                        Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                        Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

I will have to remember that. I dont like paying out the ass unless some ass comes with it. (and in this case it didnt)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                            Well yesterday I bought the one I posted in the OP. Put it together today and used it. Already broke one of the 6 plates that are attached to the center shaft. The plate holds the spikes and was only welded on two sides of the shaft. Not a big deal but I just need to pull it apart and get it tacked back on.

Worked alright but I needed 200 pounds on the shelf to get good penetration in some areas of my yard. This is really something you want to use after a good rain and the yard has semi dried out.

Does anyone know the drawbacks to frequent use of an aerator on the yard?
                            i bought 2 75lb dumbells from academy, they fit right in that slot

Comment

You should be aerating when the ground is moist, not rock hard dry.

You should also only be doing it twice a year, spring, and fall. I mowed my grass (with a bag) aerated, put seed down and mowed about a week later after the seed got established. two or three weeks after aerating I fertilized. You will want to leave the nuggets on the grass as well..
                              Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
                              Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Working...
                              X