Building metal building home, advice pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building metal building home, advice pls

Can anyone give me any advice on building a home from a metal building. My wife and I have been talking of building a 40x60 metal building and framing the inside up as a house. I know there are plenty of people that have done this but I am having a hard time finding info on the web. Thanks guys.

I know my Great uncle did this and his house turned out really nice. I'd try to give you some info but he lives far from where im at and see him only twice a year.

Comment

I did this, what do you need to know?
      The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Any mold issues? Did you spray insulation on the buildings walls and stud insulation? Did you contract it out or did you build yourself? Just any advice that would have made it easier for you at first.

Comment

garagejournal.com, get to reading

Comment

Originally posted by Droppedlime View Post
            Any mold issues? Did you spray insulation on the buildings walls and stud insulation? Did you contract it out or did you build yourself? Just any advice that would have made it easier for you at first.
            Mold issues? No, why would you think that?

The only things I didn't do we're the slab (found a good concrete guy), wiring & tile. I did everything else. I just used batt insulation, r-13 in the walls and r-30 in the ceiling. I'm just north of the speedway if you wanna ever come by for any ideas.
            The Daily

10' F250 FX4 CC spatanized & deleted

Comment

Originally posted by PeeWeeC5 View Post
              Mold issues? No, why would you think that?

The only things I didn't do we're the slab (found a good concrete guy), wiring & tile. I did everything else. I just used batt insulation, r-13 in the walls and r-30 in the ceiling. I'm just north of the speedway if you wanna ever come by for any ideas.
              Heard someone talking about condensation issue with the metal, was just wondering and learning. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I think he is talking about framing out against the metal siding and have condensation issues.
                2006 Civic SI
                2009 Pilot
                1988 GT
                CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Spray foam is expensive.
                  2006 Civic SI
                  2009 Pilot
                  1988 GT
                  CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                    Spray foam is expensive.
                    I've been quoted $1.20 for 1" closed cell or 3"open cell.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                    Last edited by fordracing19; 04-19-2012, 01:18 AM.
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

You paying cash? Most places wont finance these from what I have read due to not having comparable houses.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                        You paying cash? Most places wont finance these from what I have read due to not having comparable houses.
                        Negatory, I was wondering about this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Droppedlime View Post
                          Negatory, I was wondering about this myself.
                          Good luck financing. If you find a place let me know. Id like to do the same but it probably wont happen.

Comment

Originally posted by beefed88 View Post
                            Spray foam is expensive.
                            but well worth it. My house stays comfortable. We used the heater and AC much much less.

Comment

I built my home in a 50X60 foot metal building. I started in December 07 and completed it in January 09 on my 59th birthday. I erected the metal building with my friends, neighbors, and a few hired hands.

Financing: A friend had money in an IRA, earning squat. I paid him a 5% interest and he is thrilled.

Insulation: I used two types. A reflective barrier applied directly to the skin on the inside. Foil on the outside, thin fiberglass bat, and white vinyl on the inside. Then when i put up the walls I used standard bats in the walls and blown in in the attic. Together with the dead airspace between the steel building and the frame walls it is very efficient. I would be happy to give you any help I could. You can see a couple of videos of the home. The fun one [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBQ4IR79dw[/ame] shows one of the interesting features of the home. And this one that shows the whole construction process in 3 minutes. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNP3aXxSwTc[/ame]
                              Last edited by Joe Pires; 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X