Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average price to put a roof over a patio slab?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average price to put a roof over a patio slab?

Now that I have a new patio slab, I want to look at putting a cover over it. I'm not sure what a sane price should be or how it gets priced. When I was getting quotes for my slab, prices were all over the place but I had a general idea what it should cost. With putting a cover over it, I am clueless.

I would like something simple like this:

I need something roughly 14x16

I received bids for a 30x12 patio cover last year that were between 17 and 21 per foot. This was for a simple shed roof. Changing to a gabled roof like you have pictured would be more because the amount of materials goes up considerably. The companies I spoke with about doing the gable recommended going flat with a gabled accent in the middle. I ended up buying a Jeep instead

Comment

what is pictured is one of the worse designs i have ever seen. you never have 2 roofs meet like that.. that is just a leak waiting to happen.
      first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
        what is pictured is one of the worse designs i have ever seen. you never have 2 roofs meet like that.. that is just a leak waiting to happen.
        Even worse, that outer-most post is set in dirt. They couldn't even pour a footing? Not the best pic to advertise your work to the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
          Even worse, that outer-most post is set in dirt. They couldn't even pour a footing? Not the best pic to advertise your work to the world.
          A little quick to make accusations don't you think? You can't see below grade in the pic he posted, ergo you can't see if there is concrete there or not. Since you're a builder, you of all people should know that. I'm not saying that it would it the right way to do it, but some people don't pour flush with grade.

I also like how the downspout is directed toward the patio and also hanging up in the air 6" or better as well as hanging out over the landscaping brick. I bet that would feel great to come around the corner and slice open your shin on that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by forbes View Post
            True that!

Also that valley cut is faaarrrr from straight. How freaking hard is it to pop a line?
            www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
              I would like something simple like this:
              IMO, that is not all that simple. Anytime you're re-doing the roof line expect to pay more. You need to decide...

-If you want it attached to the roof
              -Want ceiling fans?
              -Lights?
              -If you want it peaked on the interior like that one or a little lower? (I opt for lower for hanging things, cleaning and so forth (if you do low ceiling, make sure they build in access to make it easier - even if there is access via the attic)
              -If you plan to do a hot tub or anything, additional electrical may need to be run and it's nice to do it while being built
              -Painted or not? (DIY, or have them do it)

Around 8 years ago I generally paid around 6K for a ...14x25 I think. However, that was slab, electrical, roofing work to get it all correct and so on. That's labor and materials
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by mikec View Post
                True that!

Also that valley cut is faaarrrr from straight. How freaking hard is it to pop a line?
                Yeah, it took quite a bit of work on the house - just to get it re-framed a little and prep'ed for attachment of the patio. When done right though - it looks/works nice. You're correct though, that is way too level on that one side.

Comment

are you going to tie it into a hip or a gable end?can you post a pic of the area?
                  first class white trash

Comment

My patio is on the back corner of the house. I have a hip roof so I'm guessing it would make sense for the one side of the roof to just extend out off the hip ridge and follow the ridge up to the roof peak.

At this point though, I think we may just get a nice gazebo instead of a permanent structure. I've got some other more pressing projects that I could allocate that $$$ for.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
                      A little quick to make accusations don't you think? You can't see below grade in the pic he posted, ergo you can't see if there is concrete there or not. Since you're a builder, you of all people should know that. I'm not saying that it would it the right way to do it, but some people don't pour flush with grade.

I also like how the downspout is directed toward the patio and also hanging up in the air 6" or better as well as hanging out over the landscaping brick. I bet that would feel great to come around the corner and slice open your shin on that thing.
                      LOL...you trying to school me?
                      I would use a visible pier, but I believe in quality. Call me crazy, but when it comes to something structural (like this example), out of sight, out of mind.

Comment

Other options:
                        1. aluminum frame and canvas awning- I have a 14x16 I'm pretty pleased with
                        2. Metal framing and metal roof

Both could use the eaves to attach some the framing but not joined to existing roof

Comment

look at texsun arbors, i use those for my clients, i'll see if i can get you a contact
                          texsun patio
                          469-667-6220

tell him Mark Brown recommended u
                          first class white trash

Comment

Originally posted by 95DRGT View Post
                            Other options:
                            1. aluminum frame and canvas awning- I have a 14x16 I'm pretty pleased with
                            2. Metal framing and metal roof

Both could use the eaves to attach some the framing but not joined to existing roof
                            How long have you had #1 and how does it hold up to wind - or do you retract it prior to storms...etc?

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              How long have you had #1 and how does it hold up to wind - or do you retract it prior to storms...etc?
                              It was on the house when I bought it 7 yrs ago- it's been through the ringer with hail, wind storms, acorns... It just now starting to show wear. Its a permanent structure (frame) so no retracting.

I checked on replacement cost of the awning material and it's close to 2k but comes with 20yr warranty

Comment

Working...
                              X