Home Security w/o a Landline Phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Security w/o a Landline Phone?

Anyone here do residential security or been through this recently?

Our new house is "pre-wired" with magnetic window and door switches, as well as power/comm feeds for a single control panel by the door to the garage. Smoke Alarms are not wired into the system, unfortunately. It looks like there are plenty of systems available, but primarily looking at Honeywell and DSC.

Here's the part I'm struggling with - I don't have a landline phone or VOIP. I'm looking at either an IP-based or GSM-based (cell phone) notification setup. I've got ATT Uverse and the fiber from the street comes into a box on the outside of the house. Two seconds with a pair or wire cutters could completely disable the internet connection, so I'm leaning toward the cell as either the primary or a backup.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!
    - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
    1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

For monitoring, Smith Thompson.

Comment

Most all home security systems have gone to wireless using cell phone towers. I have had a few different companies come by my house in the past few years and they all used wireless.

Comment

ADT had an option to go through my router.

Comment

I got the GSM transmitter. $10/month more, but there are no wires to be cut.

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
            For monitoring, Smith Thompson.
            And they have a wireless link for $60.
            Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Smith Thompson looks like exactly what I need, but unfortunately they don't service my area. $17/mo for cell monitoring is a very good price...
              - Darrell

1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Where are you getting the $17 a month? Will look into Smith Thompson as well...

<---Has cell output...
                www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

http://www.smiththompson.com/ $16.95 per month for GSM monitoring.
                  - Darrell

1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

Thanks for that guys. Will be switching tomorrow.
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Would anyone mind providing some background/feedback on why Smith Thompson is so great?
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                        Would anyone mind providing some background/feedback on why Smith Thompson is so great?
                        Price beats most other monitoring services.

Good customer service.

All of their hardware works as advertised, and they will incorporate your existing hardware into their configuration if you so choose.

Comment

Insider Pages was created to help people find the best local businesses through recommendations from their friends and neighbors. At InsiderPages.com, people share reviews of local businesses and find great services they can trust.

Comment

My pistol doesn't have a friggen landline..

Comment

Company is trash. They came to my house for install and said they would be back next week. Never heard from them again. Worst costumer service around.
                              Originally posted by The King
                              I would have to disagree...If a man gives another man a blow job and doesn't use his hands, that doesn't make him gay.

Comment

Working...
                              X