Fertilizing Lawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question.

I mowed saturday and threw some weed and feed down sunday night anticipating a shower. I figured, no need to water if its going to rain in the next day or so.

Fast forward after the monsoon and now I am wondering if the weed and feed just washed away. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      I have a question.

I mowed saturday and threw some weed and feed down sunday night anticipating a shower. I figured, no need to water if its going to rain in the next day or so.

Fast forward after the monsoon and now I am wondering if the weed and feed just washed away. What do you guys think?
      I'd say it washed away.

Comment

I have a question.

Depends on what type of weed and feed you used. Some, like Bonus S, should be heavily watered in, but most weed and feeds recommend not applying it if you know it's going to rain in the following 24-48 hours from the time of application. What type did you use?
        Last edited by Lone Sailor; 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone Sailor View Post
          Depends on what type of weed and feed you used. Some, like Bonus S, should heavily watered in, but most recommend not applying it if you know it's going to rain in the following 24-48 hours from the time of application. What type did you use?
          Bonus s.

Comment

Bonus s.
            I have a nice yard of St. Augustine...I put out scotts bonus s this past Sunday, ran my sprinkler system for 30 minutes to water it in. I know it didn't completely obsorb in...as I could still see 1/2 granules on some areas near my edging... My question...with the rains we just got, is it likely most of it was washed away and

Comment

Well, I guess it will be good. I didn't walk the yard to see if any granules were still present. I can't imagine they are though.

Comment

Well, I guess it will be good. I didn't walk the yard to see if any granules were still present. I can't imagine they are though.
                It doesn't take a long time for the weed and feed to do it's job. I'm sure it will be fine.

Comment

ok nub question. wtf does scalping the yard mean? I hate yard work with a passion... It reaks havok on my allergies, but HOA and plain looks are forcing me to take action.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                    ok nub question. wtf does scalping the yard mean? I hate yard work with a passion... It reaks havok on my allergies, but HOA and plain looks are forcing me to take action.
                    I have always taken it meaning cutting the grass with the lowest heighth setting on your mower.

Comment

I have always taken it meaning cutting the grass with the lowest heighth setting on your mower.
                      Bingo.

Comment

Scalp the yard. Use Milorganite. Best stuff by far. Organic and inexpensive too. Feed the grass and it will choke out the weeds. Probably alot of beer remnants in it since it is made at the Milwaukee Sewage facility.

Comment

I'm struggling with the logic behind the scalping. In general terms, this normally allows weeds to take over, as exposing the dirt to more light is widely considered tp encourage weed growth. It seems like this would work against the weed killer.

Can anyone explain this logic?
                          sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                          17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                          13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                          86 SVO - Sold
                          '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                          01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                          65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

can somebody post up a year round maint program that would work well? Like month to month and what products you should be using at each step. Used to have a company do it , but $50 a month adds up.
                            2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

Comment

Would it be okay to Fertilize the lawn this Friday? I think there is a 40% chance of rain Saturday. Aren't you suppose to water after you fertilize anyways or will it just drift away?
                              Originally posted by 03trubluGT
                              Your opinion is what sucks.
                              You are too stupied and arrogant

Comment

[QUOTE=Chas_svo;635313]I'm struggling with the logic behind the scalping. In general terms, this normally allows weeds to take over, as exposing the dirt to more light is widely considered tp encourage weed growth. It seems like this would work against the weed killer.

Can anyone explain this logic?[/QUOT

one reason is when you "scalp" ( i just lower to 2", i dont take it to the dirt), is to allow for the grass to be raised thoughout the year without having to take more than 1/3 or so of the grass blade off per mowing, also this allows you to typically reach a height of 3" or so by peak heat, and also allows you sprinklers to clear the grass without interference.

Comment

Working...
                                X