Adding on to a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding on to a house

my question is it worth trying to do.....i got a great deal on the current house im in along with the tax credit for being a first time buyer...but the family has kinda outgrown the house.

anyone here ever done it or have a estimated cost of doing such a thing.....ive seen it done alot but never knew anyone that done it themselfs.

i know the the house behind was at one a one story and was converted to 2 story...which would be great!!
    Your local VW parts Master.....need a part?

if your studs are on 2 foot centers it isn't worth going up a story for all the structural work you will need to do
    first class white trash

Comment

If i could do it... i would add only one large room upstairs with a bathroom since all the plumbing would be right under it in the existing bathroom.....

what you mean by 2 foot centers..

Comment

Originally posted by thedriver33 View Post
        If i could do it... i would add only one large room upstairs with a bathroom since all the plumbing would be right under it in the existing bathroom.....

studs are on 16" or 2' centers. If it's on 2' centers there wont be enough structural support for a 2nd story.
        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Originally posted by thedriver33 View Post
          Would you hire to have it done or do it yourself?

Either way....

1. Research everything getting done, even if you're hiring a contractor - you have to know things are getting down right.

2. Research all the permits needed and codes for your county/city. Generally, codes are there for a reason and it's good to know them. Either way, it'll save you from being dinged hard later and it also looks good for resale.

3. No chance of just adding on to the first story?
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
            3. No chance of just adding on to the first story?
            Hell for that matter have you just looked around at houses? I would imagine it will cheaper just buying another house...

I've seen some late 90's early 2000's two story houses in decent subdivisions go for under 100k.
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

true....we have thought about buying another house, but dont have down payment or anything to put down for that matter.....we got really lucky with our current house....we moved in and had a grand total out of pocket of 689 dollars closing cost/downpayment.

dont think we can get that luck again. its possible to add on to the house on the 1st floor but i would need to find out if i can even build there......city had a 25 street to foundation rule that was in effect back when the house was build

btw anyone know how long you need to stay in the house when you cash in on the 8k first time buyers credit?

Comment

Working...
              X