AC question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC question

We have our thermostat set at 76 but the house never gets any cooler than 80 during the day and the thing is running constantly. We had an Hvac tune up/check up pre season and it all checked out fine. Is it just because its hotter than hell out, or is our AC unit losing efficiency? Its a 6 yr old home and haven't really had this issue that I can remember any previous summers.
    Last edited by spederman; 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM.
    2002 4.6L 5spd S281

So fast i make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales

I've got the same issue, but my outdoor unit is 21 years old so I'm sure it's on the way out.

Comment

Same problem at my house. I blame it on all of the above. Smallish A/C and inefficient house. I bought a programmable thermostat years ago so I could turn it down while Im at work but it struggles to get it comfortable again till nightfall so I just keep it on 75 24/7 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        Smallish A/C and inefficient house.
        Bingo... We had the same problem until we had EVERYTHING (ducts, new Lennox 2 stage heat pump w/ var. spd air handler) replaced last year. Our unit was original to the house, which was built in 81'! lol. We have zero issues now and save about 50% on the bill...
        Whippled '06 by Gearheads - 474rwhp 450rwtq @ 10psi and a few other Borla/Steeda/BMR/CHE/Tokico mods...

Gearheads Dyno Video

Comment

If the unit you have is newer try the old garden hose trick. I go out every two weeks and wash my coils/fins off. Mine is a SEER-13 and any type of dust makes the radiator look like chocolate milk. Just washing it out makes mine blow cooler. DO NOT use a sprayer. Use the natural pressure from the hose so you don’t damage any of the fins.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing and was gonna post the same question. Temp is set at 70 and won't go below 76 until the sun goes down. I'll try the hose approach tomorrow, but the condenser is only 5 years old (Replaced in 06)

Comment

I've always heard from my a.c. guy that you will only get about 25-30 deg. cooler in your house than the ambient temp outside

Comment

Working...
              X