Independent home inspection...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent home inspection...

So we're dealing with a builder now that is putting up a little static with the fact that we are going to have an independent inspector out at the jobsite a few times throughout our build. We want to have three inspections performed one just before the slab is poured, one before drywall goes up, and one final when everything is finished. Originally the builder said it wouldn't be an issue and any open items would be brought to arbitration if it were needed. Looks like that was just lip service to shut everyone up and now they are kind of acting like it will be an issue. This throws up a major red flag for me obviously. I feel like if there isn't anything to hide then they shouldn't have an issue with folks bringing in someone three whole times during a 3-4 month process especially with the amount of dough we're spending. Anyone ever have this problem before?

I'm going through the same thing with our new home build. To make my situation worse, I'm in a semi-rural area that has no state/city inspecting agency. So, without an independent inspector, there would be no one to double check the builder's work at all. The builder has a great reputation but it's a big purchase and you never know for sure.

I've opted to do 2 inspections - one immediately after framing and one before we close. My builder had no problems with it and said that it's common in that area. I brought it up at the pre-construction meeting and was a little wary that they might take offense. So, I opened with, "It's not a matter of trust - If I didn't trust you, we wouldn't be having this meeting to begin with. But...we're all human." In the end, they didn't seem the slightest bit offended by it and haven't given me any grief whatsoever.

Although, the builder thinks the inspector is coming out 6-8 times during the build. Gotta keep 'em on their toes. I would be a little concerned if your builder is making it an issue.
    - Darrell

1993 LX - Reef Blue R331ci
    1993 Cobra #199 - SOLD

Comment

For the money that's put out to build a house..... If it was me the builder wouldn't have a choice in the matter. I would let him know that there WILL be an independent inspector coming out to check things. If your builder really has a problem or argues about it then you shouldn't use him in the first place.

My.02
      "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

He's probably taking it as an insult. However, I'd be a little worried too. Even more so if he is throwing a fit about it. Just tell him point blank, for the amount of money I'm spending, these inspections are just a little insurance. Tell the builder it's not him that you don't trust, it's the subcontractors. Make up some bullshit story about a Fox & Jacobs home you bought in the past.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
          He's probably taking it as an insult. However, I'd be a little worried too. Even more so if he is throwing a fit about it. Just tell him point blank, for the amount of money I'm spending, these inspections are just a little insurance. Tell the builder it's not him that you don't trust, it's the subcontractors. Make up some bullshit story about a Fox & Jacobs home you bought in the past.
          Shit go with Choice I can rattle off plenty of reasons they screw stuff up. They built my first house and it had some major issues.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
            So we're dealing with a builder now that is putting up a little static with the fact that we are going to have an independent inspector out at the jobsite a few times throughout our build. We want to have three inspections performed one just before the slab is poured, one before drywall goes up, and one final when everything is finished. Originally the builder said it wouldn't be an issue and any open items would be brought to arbitration if it were needed. Looks like that was just lip service to shut everyone up and now they are kind of acting like it will be an issue. This throws up a major red flag for me obviously. I feel like if there isn't anything to hide then they shouldn't have an issue with folks bringing in someone three whole times during a 3-4 month process especially with the amount of dough we're spending. Anyone ever have this problem before?
            Tell them you are bringing a real estate agent to the table and see how they respond. haha

Comment

I'd ask that fucking dickhead who he thinks is running the show around there.
              Originally posted by racrguy
              What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
              Originally posted by racrguy
              Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                I'd ask that fucking dickhead who he thinks is running the show around there.
                Lmao, exactly.

Definitely a huge red flag. In fact , it would make me want to send the inspector out more than just the three times mentioned.
                Vortex rear stand $75
                8.8 410s. $50

**SKAGG NASTY**
                My goal in life is to not arrive at the grave in a well preserved body.
                but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy shit!!!.. what a ride!"

1990 Foxbody GT for that ass
                11 4 door
                13 FX2 White 5.0

Comment

We will be doing it regardless what they think/say. The entire issue that I see is what will happen when, and probably if, we find an problem. In my opinion at the end of the day the same workers who are building 80K homes are building 500K and up homes. Shit work is going to happen at some point somewhere in the house. I just don't know how the rules/laws in TX are setup to ensure the builder actually fixes their screw-ups.

Comment

There are a lot of laws that protect the buyer in these cases... I'm just now really getting into the legality part of my real estate but I'm RealEstateNate an give you great information... Also I would definitely have it looked into more than 3 times now... Times are tough and anywhere people can make an extra $$$ it seems like they are going to...

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                      We will be doing it regardless what they think/say. The entire issue that I see is what will happen when, and probably if, we find an problem. In my opinion at the end of the day the same workers who are building 80K homes are building 500K and up homes. Shit work is going to happen at some point somewhere in the house. I just don't know how the rules/laws in TX are setup to ensure the builder actually fixes their screw-ups.
                      Without hearing what the builder is actually saying, I'm not sure if you need to see red flags or not.

I know my old man gets a little irritated since sometimes people brought in don't know...

-New building methods
                      -Codes
                      -Plans
                      -Or the inspector may think something HAS to be done a certain way that maybe a 10, 15, 30K or whatever difference in price

It CAN cause heartache and then the builder has to constantly be on the defense for everything they are doing correctly.

However, as far as I know, he's never really complained to the homeowners. He's mildly tried to explain they are not needed, explains his experience, credentials, awards and such - then just lets it go and chalks it up to just doing business.

Pick an inspector that know new home codes and everything. With a lot of these builders out there, there is good cause for what you're doing. Even my old man would acknowledge that; based off what I hear him say when walking around homes being built around here.

I once had Gehan Homes (think they are out of business) take 6 months to get a foundation and then when they did build the home (Already had a lawyer involved, and all my money back but still watched it) everything was out of whack. I swear the door looks cockeyed to this day, brick is off...etc...etc. Illegals only do as good as they are made to do.
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                      X