Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US already losing planes in Libya

US jet crashes in Libya, both crew are safe

BERLIN – A U.S. fighter jet crashed in Libya after an apparent equipment malfunction but both crewmembers were able to eject and were back in American hands with only minor injuries, U.S. officials said Tuesday.

The F-15E Strike Eagle jet was conducting a mission Monday night against Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi's air defenses when it crashed at 2130 GMT (5:30 p.m. EDT), said Lt. Cmdr. Karin Burzynski, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Africa Command.

A spokesman for the Libyan opposition, Mohammed Ali, said the U.S. plane went down about 25 miles (40 kilometers) outside of the eastern rebel stronghold of Benghazi, Libya's second-largest city.

Britain's Telegraph newspaper published a series of photographs it said was the wreckage of the plane, showing people milling around the burned-out aircraft in a Libyan field.

One of the jet's airmen landed in a field of sheep after ejecting from the plane, then raised his hands and called out "OK, OK" to a crowd who had gathered, the Telegraph cited witness Younis Amruni, 27, as saying.

"I hugged him and said: 'Don't be scared, we are your friends,'" Amruni told the newspaper, adding that people then lined up to shake the airman's hand.

"We are so grateful to these men who are protecting the skies," he said. "We gave him juice and then the revolutionary military people took him away."

A Marine Corps Osprey search and rescue aircraft retrieved the main pilot, while the second crew member, a weapon systems officer who is also a pilot, was recovered by rebel forces and is now in American hands, a U.S. official said in Washington. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak on the record.

Amruni said the Osprey fired shots to keep locals away, then swooped in and rescued the second crew member.

The two were separated after ejecting from the crippled jet at high altitude and drifting down to different locations, Africa Command spokesman Vince Crawley said, adding they sustained minor injuries.

The aircraft, based out of Royal Air Force Lakenheath, England, was flying out of Italy's Aviano Air Base in support of Operation Odyssey Dawn. The cause of the crash is being investigated.

The Air Force has said only that B-2, F-15 and F-16 fighters are participating in operations over Libya. The U.S. involvement in Libya is being run by Africa Command, which is based in Stuttgart, Germany.

The air campaign by U.S. and European militaries that began Saturday has rearranged the map in Libya and rescued rebels from what had appeared to be imminent defeat.

On Monday night, Libyan state TV said a new round of strikes had begun in the capital, Tripoli, marking the third night of bombardment.

But while the airstrikes can stop Gadhafi's troops from attacking rebel cities — in line with the U.N. mandate to protect civilians — the United States, at least, has appeared deeply reluctant to go beyond that toward actively helping the rebel cause to oust the Libyan leader.
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Bailed out of an F-15 and rescued by an Osprey. Those lucky bastards cheated death twice!
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      Bailed out of an F-15 and rescued by an Osprey. Those lucky bastards cheated death twice!
      Fucking LOL!!!!

Comment

The first time I was up close to an Osprey and saw the rescue hoist, the first thought I had was, "Really?!?!". The downwash from those things makes a C/MH-53E feel like a gentle breeze.

That being said, I'm glad both crew were recovered safely.
        "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

lol, now thats funny.
          You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Sounds like it was a malfunction. Do the Libyans have the capability of shooting down our aircraft?

Comment

no

Comment

Originally posted by Borderer View Post
                Sounds like it was a malfunction. Do the Libyans have the capability of shooting down our aircraft?
                They did have the capability.

Not so much after the Tomahawk strikes...

Goes to show how many Eagles have just too many hours on them and need to be replaced. Expect this to happen from time to time.

Thanks for cutting the F-22 production jackasses....

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                  no
                  Not anymore anyways. Lol.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    Not anymore anyways. Lol.

They could throw really big rocks really hard at them.

Comment

They got fucked up. BTW, those people in the village that were around where the plane crashed actually helped out. One got hit by shrapnel from the bombs, and they interviewed him. He said he understood and was glad that we are helping out. I was amazed.

Comment

They got fucked up. BTW, those people in the village that were around where the plane crashed actually helped out. One got hit by shrapnel from the bombs, and they interviewed him. He said he understood and was glad that we are helping out. I was amazed.
                        This isn't a bunch of militant, brainwashed terrorists-in-training, like Iraq and afghanistan. These people realize if they stand up that they can actually overthrow their dictator. I wish we heard more stories like this from the other 2 countries, but our media rarely reports them.
                        Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                        I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                        Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                        Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                        dont downshift!!
                        Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

First post win.

Comment

Originally posted by Borderer View Post
                            Do the Libyans have the capability of shooting down our aircraft?
                            no

Never say never. The Libyan rebels took down a Sukhoi Su-24 in early March.

Libyan Arab Air Force logo

Libyan rebels down fighter jet
                            March 5, 2011

Libyan rebels shot down a loyalist fighter jet on Saturday near the eastern oil town of Ras Lanuf, killing the two pilots, according to a video clip seen by AFP.

Authorities of strongman Moammar Qaddafi's regime denied the claim.

The video shows the wreckage of what was said to be a Russian-made Sukhoi and its two dead crew members shot down by an anti-aircraft battery in the desert near the town.
                            Last edited by Strychnine; 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X