No announcement yet.

The Texas Open Carry bill has been filed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a fan. Just makes you the first person to get shot in a robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
      This.
      Its still a little win because not too awful long ago, you couldn't go within 300 feet. its been less than 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
        he is not trying to get rid of ccw though, is he? I want the option for both. Its not worth it if they are trying to mandate open carry. Also, they passed a law here fairly recently where you just cant take u gun inside the school building. They redefined the word premises to be the building itself. So that is a little win.
        Originally posted by StanleyTweedle View Post
        Its still a little win because not too awful long ago, you couldn't go within 300 feet. its been less than 10 years.
        Where's "here"? I don't know the full history of TX law, but when I took the class, "premises" was defined then (and still is) basically means not passing through a fence line or doorway. So I can carry on a school property all day long, as long as I didn't cross a gate, fence or door.

So, currently you CAN carry on a college campus, following those rules. You obviously, can't carry to class because of said doorway.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          They aren't, just proving another option. And the "the bad guy could grab your weapon" argument is a joke. It doesn't happen in any of the open carry states, nor to off duty cops who open carry so it's not an issue
          Off duty cops that open carry? I don't see this unless an officer just got off and has to go get gas or something like that. I am not too sure I would place a police officer in the same category as as a chl holder. Even while I am in uniform and on duty you have to always be pretty much "watch your back". Why would anyone want this? Honestly I would rather have my gun concealed, walking around with a gun one your hip is just a way for people to get attention in my opinion. Why else would anyone want it? I don't go anywhere when I get off work, if I have too, my badge and gun come off. A gun on your hip is not the kind of attention Anyone should want and won't stop crimes from happening.

Comment

I voted for it, but interesting opinions here : http://paopencarry.org/the-open-carry-argument
            WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
              Off duty cops that open carry? I don't see this unless an officer just got off and has to go get gas or something like that. I am not too sure I would place a police officer in the same category as as a chl holder. Even while I am in uniform and on duty you have to always be pretty much "watch your back". Why would anyone want this? Honestly I would rather have my gun concealed, walking around with a gun one your hip is just a way for people to get attention in my opinion. Why else would anyone want it? I don't go anywhere when I get off work, if I have too, my badge and gun come off. A gun on your hip is not the kind of attention Anyone should want and won't stop crimes from happening.
              I agree. All of my cop friends have the same mindset. Always watch the door, always watch your back when you are in uniform. Anyone with a weapon and seen as a threat will always be the first to go. Concealed is way much better. Element of surprise. If the criminal knows, they can plan secretly. If a criminal doesn't know who is armed and has to guess it makes it very difficult to commit a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                I agree. All of my cop friends have the same mindset. Always watch the door, always watch your back when you are in uniform. Anyone with a weapon and seen as a threat will always be the first to go. Concealed is way much better. Element of surprise. If the criminal knows, they can plan secretly. If a criminal doesn't know who is armed and has to guess it makes it very difficult to commit a crime.
                I disagree, based off the same evidence you have - cause I said so.
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Ummm ok?

Comment

It is too hot during the summer to carry concealed and this is no more a threat than a cop getting his weapon taken. Just doesn't happen, nor has it happened in ANY open carry state
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Ummm ok?
                      K, in fairness that was a bit terse.

I know you're cop friends and so on disregarding that - is there any evidence to support open carry creates more problems? I googled this to find out and did not really have any concrete luck. Specifically I checked for AZ.

Personally, I may have it open...maybe just wear it so I don't have to fully worry about it be 100% concealed and more comfy. Whatever. Cops are great and I know the idea is for them to be trained better then the average citizen. Is that always the case? Does it matter? No on both accounts.

Generally, yeah crooks CAN plan. I just am not able to find evidence that support such claims that open carry has caused more problems.

I want open carry for several reasons and to look cool is down at the bottom of the list. I could careless if my black holster matches my white tennis shoes.

Comment

If a criminal is staking a place out and sees a cop or someone with open carry, they might take them out or wait until they are gone. If they are under the impression that people might be carrying and cant see who is, maybe that would deter them? Thats how I see it. And Im not speaking in terms of taking someones weapon, Im talking about having weapons of their own.

Comment

I would not try to predict what a criminal who has a gun and is willing to use it - is going to try and do. I'd prefer they just wait until gone, in your first sentence.

I'm not a psychologist, but I just don't see the choice of open carry hurting.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                            It is too hot during the summer to carry concealed and this is no more a threat than a cop getting his weapon taken. Just doesn't happen, nor has it happened in ANY open carry state
                            Wear cargo shorts and throw a .38 in a pocket holster in your cargo pocket. Bam, you are done. Police officers have had their weapon taken before, so yes it does happen. So are you going to be marching down the street, with a retention holster on? I get your point, however there is no advantage to having this bill. I have seen many idiots get a chl. It will only make it worse having them trot around with it on their hip acting like they are something. Why would you want to be in a line at Burger King with your arm resting on your gun just so you don't get jacked? This isn't the wild west. If I am in uniform, my eyes are going to stay on the person with the holster on.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                              I would not try to predict what a criminal who has a gun and is willing to use it - is going to try and do. I'd prefer they just wait until gone, in your first sentence.

I'm not a psychologist, but I just don't see the choice of open carry hurting.

Theres brazen people out there that dont care who is armed, whos a cop, etc. What makes you think a person who has a gun on their hip is going to be that much more?

Comment

Theres brazen people out there that dont care who is armed, whos a cop, etc. What makes you think a person who has a gun on their hip is going to be that much more?
                                Lol people do crimes infront of police. The hip toating public won't stop anything. Not like they can pull it out or anything if someone is doing a simple theft.

Comment

Working...
                                X