Soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses

Thousands of California soldiers forced to repay enlistment bonuses a decade after going to war.

Short of troops to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan a decade ago, the California National Guard enticed thousands of soldiers with bonuses of $15,000 or more to reenlist and go to war.

Short of troops to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan a decade ago, the California National Guard enticed thousands of soldiers with bonuses of $15,000 or more to reenlist and go to war.

Now the Pentagon is demanding the money back.

Nearly 10,000 soldiers, many of whom served multiple combat tours, have been ordered to repay large enlistment bonuses — and slapped with interest charges, wage garnishments and tax liens if they refuse — after audits revealed widespread overpayments by the California Guard at the height of the wars last decade.

Investigations have determined that lack of oversight allowed for widespread fraud and mismanagement by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets.

But soldiers say the military is reneging on 10-year-old agreements and imposing severe financial hardship on veterans whose only mistake was to accept bonuses offered when the Pentagon needed to fill the ranks.

“These bonuses were used to keep people in,” said Christopher Van Meter, a 42-year-old former Army captain and Iraq veteran from Manteca, Calif., who says he refinanced his home mortgage to repay $25,000 in reenlistment bonuses and $21,000 in student loan repayments that the Army says he should not have received. “People like me just got screwed.”

In Iraq, Van Meter was thrown from an armored vehicle turret — and later awarded a Purple Heart for his combat injuries — after the vehicle detonated a buried roadside bomb.

Susan Haley, a Los Angeles native and former Army master sergeant who deployed to Afghanistan in 2008, said she sends the Pentagon $650 a month — a quarter of her family’s income — to pay down $20,500 in bonuses that the Guard says were given to her improperly.

“I feel totally betrayed,” said Haley, 47, who served 26 years in the Army along with her husband and oldest son, a medic who lost a leg in combat in Afghanistan.

Haley, who now lives in Kempner, Texas, worries they may have to sell their house to repay the bonuses. “They’ll get their money, but I want those years back,” she said, referring to her six-year reenlistment.

Even Guard officials concede that taking back the money from military veterans is distasteful.

“At the end of the day, the soldiers ended up paying the largest price,” said Maj. Gen. Matthew Beevers, deputy commander of the California Guard. “We’d be more than happy to absolve these people of their debts. We just can’t do it. We’d be breaking the law.”

This is one argument I've made frequently lately. Unlike past generations we now have an executive and congress with largely no military experience. They keep cutting and taking away benefits and pretty soon you won't have a military. Our military requires the best to operate very advanced equipment and without the excellent benefits being in the military isn't worth the risk or sacrifice.

Comment

Comment

Beyond fucked up.

When the next big war comes (perhaps civil), I wonder how many recruits they'll get when they start touting their sign up bonuses.

Who the fuck is going to take it knowing that it could be snatched back sometime down the road, perhaps after they've taken a bullet.

Comment

This is fucked up and wrong, but about what I expect from our government anymore.
          I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

This is dumbfounding. After happily pissing away billions of dollars on welfare fraud and foreign aid to countries that hate us, we are now playing a game of Indian Giver with our military members? Talk about playing with fire. You think these people that now "owe" forty grand to the government are going to take a bullet for these double crossing lying sacks of shit?

Maybe we should have kept that 1.7 billion dollars we handed over to Iran and said, "Thanks for paying for our military members' enlistment bonuses, assholes."
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

The govt entered into a binding contract that they can't renig on. If they screwed up, then let them eat the error. If they did some shit like that to me, I would start killing govt people responsible for trying to screw me before I gave them a cent.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                This is fucked up and wrong, but about what I expect from our government anymore.
                Hopefully most of them have taken their $15k out of the bank and just give them a middle finger by never paying it back. I sure as fuck wouldn't.
                WH

Comment

I don't understand how it is even possible. It seems as though a class action suit is in order.

Comment

I'd like to point out that this is the California National Guard, not the US Army. The corruption and mismanagement that's currently in the news only has to do with California.

Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere but when the Army screws up they usually get their money before the soldier is released from service.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                      I'd like to point out that this is the California National Guard, not the US Army. The corruption and mismanagement that's currently in the news only has to do with California.

Not saying it doesn't happen elsewhere but when the Army screws up they usually get their money before the soldier is released from service.
                      That's the way I'm understanding it. The CA National guard is to blame for mismanaging money the Pentagon gave them.:

"Investigations have determined that lack of oversight allowed for widespread fraud and mismanagement by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets."

Now the fed wants it's money back. So, in true California fashion, CA goes after the people they screwed, rather than finding fault in themselves.
                      "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                        That's the way I'm understanding it. The CA National guard is to blame for mismanaging money the Pentagon gave them.:

"Investigations have determined that lack of oversight allowed for widespread fraud and mismanagement by California Guard officials under pressure to meet enlistment targets."

Now the fed wants it's money back. So, in true California fashion, CA goes after the people they screwed, rather than finding fault in themselves.
                        Solid point.

Comment

For those that didn't read the article, basically the CA National Guard was giving enlistment bonuses (via federal dollars) to soldiers not eligible, for one reason or another (Time in Service or MOS is what I saw).

It was most definitely the CA Guard recruiters that fucked up, so they should be eating the cost. Absolute bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                            That's the way I'm understanding it. The CA National guard is to blame for mismanaging money the Pentagon gave them.
                            Technically the state gets paid by the pentagon and the money goes through their various channels to the national guard budget. There is plenty of oversight that should have caught this. Not to mention the soldiers themselves can all read, they probably had a pretty good idea they were getting more than they were supposed to.

Comment

Carter suspends Pentagon’s demand of the return of cash bonuses to California soldiers

Comment

Working...
                              X